Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello...I'm new to the forum but not new to owning a Cougar. I've got a '68 XR-7 that's been in my family since the cars birth. I've owned it since I was 14 so it's been 9 years now and I haven't been able to do anything special to it accept keep it running.

But now, the time has come for me to give this car what it deserves.

It has 105,000 original miles on it and I drive it 5 days a week to/from work at 36 miles a day.

It's a standard 302 2V and like I said, nothing special added on.

I'm looking to basically keep it my daily driver but I want to make it a little more fun but not lose too much in the gas mileage arena (right now I average 16 mpg).

My dad said I should put in an electronic ignition and open up the exhaust which would help me out some...but I hear there's quite a bit of knowledge in this forum to be gained and so I want to know what you guys think and where I might be able to find an electronic ignition.

Oh, and since I'm new I'm wondering where we post pix of our cars and see everyone elses.

·
Registered
216 Posts
There are lots of HEI ignitions out there, I might suggest getting a Summit or Jeg's catalog, they have several; Mallory, Accel, etc...

What do you mean by "open up the exhaust"? If you mean headers and "downstream" exhaust components, the Summit/Jegs catalogs are again a good source, along with your local exhaust shop. If you mean porting your cylinder heads, it means taking the cylinder heads/ intake manifold off, plus you'd want to probably do headers since the stock exhaust manifolds would probably be restrictive.

Keep in mind, your motor has some age on it... You should think about freshening things up a bit before you get too out of control... Horsepower losses on "tired" cylinder heads can be pretty large.

Don't get too crazy if you need it to be reliable every day... more power=more maintenance... it's just the way it is. Especially the headers... ModMark would agree, headers are a pain.

Ron.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
If you want to go electronic ing, may I suggest a Ford duraspark ign. Very easy to wire in and very reliable. Like Ron said you may want to start considering that the motor will probably need some major work soon so now maybe the time for that too. mm

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tips on the elect ign, I'll try and track down one of those catalogs.

I've been thinking about that with the engine age...it still runs great but I know that adding things to it will wear it out faster.

For the exhaust a friend told me I should cut the exhaust off and right behind the engine have the dual pipes cross each other, add a couple flow masters and then dual pipes out the end. Anyone know what that would do for the car? I don't know much about exhaust except that you want to let an engine breath, but I also don't want to drive one of those cars that sets alamrs off everytime you drive through a parking garage (no offense to anyone that does).

Got any ideas how much it would cost to get a full rebuild, and what kind of cam I should put in?

·
Registered
127 Posts
but I also don't want to drive one of those cars that sets alamrs off everytime you drive through a parking garage
I had side exit exhaust pipes on my 4 banger Ranger that did that sometimes when I would start up the truck. It was so cool :]

·
Registered
519 Posts
I also don't want to drive one of those cars that sets alamrs off everytime you drive through a parking garage (no offense to anyone that does).
No offense taken. Personally i find it funny and I know where theres a row of about 4 or 5 cars I can set off their alarms if I pound on the gas going down that street. LOL :D

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I would recomend just changing intake first to smaller 4V. This will give more when asked but still give MPG if foot not in it. Also not a ton of money.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
wake it up!

The sooner you admit you have an addiction, the sooner you are on the road to recovery!
Jegs-1800-345-4545
Summit-1800-230-3030
Don't waste another day... call now!:ylsup: :ylsup: :ylsup: :ylsup:

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
wake it up!

Iwouldn't recommend a cam with more than 225-230 degrees
duration, but anywhere right at a half inch lift is healthy.
just keep it under 230 and you shouldn't have vacume or ignition difficulties.
The tech reps at Jegs and Summit are usually good about keeping up with thier product line.:ylsup: :ylsup: :ylsup: :ylsup:

·
Registered
669 Posts
Easy LilWrink.....With the mileage he has, those tired heads may decide to start breaking rocker arms ot worse, drop a valve with a .500 lift cam! Lets start him off slow. A 4bbl and headers would not be a bad start. Of course if he decides to rebuild..well:jump3:

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
wake it up

You sir, are very right...
Perhaps a review of the old budget, and a call to your closest reputable machineist, would serve him better for starters.
The tech staff from Jeg's or Summit can help you get pricing for a parts list budget, as far as the cost of the machinist, you need to do your own shopping. Most machine shops are priced according to what is requested of them.:dogpile:

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Ignition upgrade

Buy a rebuilt Duraspark distributor, (76-80) MSD6 series ignition boxes and coil.

Super simple to install, trouble-free, car will idle cleaner and you may pick up a little MPG...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts