Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks like the WCC repop running cat valve covers need a hokey looking spacer to make them work with my combination of roller rockers and a stud girdle and most every "tall" SBF valve cover I can find is way too modern looking for my taste, so...

Does anyone know of any "tall" vintage looking simple finned aluminum valve covers for a 351W?

There seems is one set of decent looking valve covers out there with sort of a pentroof FE shape but they have "427" on them, so those won't work for my 408.

Does anyone know how tall old Mickey Thompson valve covers are?

Anybody have any nice vintage looking valve covers to sell?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Old "M/T" Mickey Thompsons are low - I don't think they will clear your stud girdles. Cobra automotive may sell tall "Cobra powered by ford" style valve covers. Mike

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tinman,

Thanks for the input. I checked the Cobra Automotive site, but their tall "Cobra.. " covers were only tall enough for roller rockers and cool nuts. They had a smooth top with Ford Motorsport logo cover that they said would fit with girdles, but I don't like that look at all.

Seems like I'm running out of possibilities, sadly might have to consider doing away with the girdles, dialing back the cam and horsepower. I suppose I could go with the way too pricey and leaky spacers so I can run a decent looking valve cover. Tough call, too the bad appearance is that important to me.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
I have the Edelbrock finned aluminum covers on my 393W with World Products heads (valve cover lip is raised .300 inches over stock). I have H-S roller rockers, but no girdle so I can't swear to the fit...

The Summit Racing site says these will fit over girdles

Since I drove my car through two Cleveland Winters, the polished covers got a bit corroded due to road salt, so I painted mine with matte black paint then sanded the top 'fins', then clearcoated them with matte clear. Look good!

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Wow those do looks nice and tall - even has the cat logo! NICE

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The new boss valve cover for winsor heads might work. Not sure if Ford Racing's Boss 427 crate engine uses a stud girdle.
Thanks! I can't see your pics at work, but based on the posts below this sounds a lot like a back up plan I had to mill off whatever logo was on the cover and somehow mount the repo '69 grill cat. I'll check this out as soon as I get home today. Thanks again.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have the Edelbrock finned aluminum covers on my 393W with World Products heads (valve cover lip is raised .300 inches over stock). I have H-S roller rockers, but no girdle so I can't swear to the fit...

The Summit Racing site says these will fit over girdles]

Since I drove my car through two Cleveland Winters, the polished covers got a bit corroded due to road salt, so I painted mine with matte black paint then sanded the top 'fins', then clearcoated them with matte clear. Look good!
Thanks for the suggestions. I like the looks of the Edelbrock Classic Series, which of course won't fit. Its a matter of taste but I don't much care for the Elite Series covers with the fake allen head screws. But on the upside, the Elite series covers are fairly cheap, so if I had to buy a set to get the engine closed up and running I'd wouldn't be out too much $$$ when if I find what I really want. Something to consider. Thanks again.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No fins and i guess they are too modern, but Blue thunders look a bit pentroof and are possibly tall enough?
http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-49878277102112_2220_36048751
Those are kinda cool even though they are a bit modern. They seem a little hard to track down, but I'm sure with a little persistence I could. Maybe a '69 grill cat would personalize them enough to work. Interesting. Do you know what they cost? Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Those are kinda cool even though they are a bit modern. They seem a little hard to track down, but I'm sure with a little persistence I could. Maybe a '69 grill cat would personalize them enough to work. Interesting. Do you know what they cost? Thanks for the suggestion.
The cats I used came from a '79 Cougar side of the vinyl top in a wrecking yard.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Looks good! How'd you find the emblem?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I bought some Clevo ones a few years back, remember thinking they werent cheap but cant remember how much. Heres a link to their dealers list if it helps: http://www.bluethunderauto.com/id3.html

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Now I have another thing to keep an eye out for - thanks! I did score a hood ornament from one to use as a keg tapper deco - I think that will look sweet for the beer I'm brewing up - calling it "Bent Whisker"

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
I did score a hood ornament from one to use as a keg tapper deco - I think that will look sweet for the beer I'm brewing up - calling it "Bent Whisker"
:beer::beer:ROFLMAO!!!:beer::beer:

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So far all I have found are Blue Thunder distributors who are having trouble getting any of their products and are recommending not to bother trying. Still haven't found any tall cover that I like looks of save the BT, definitely nothing vintage looking. I'm pondering trying to make a tall cover out of a set of original stock "Power by Ford" valve covers. Anybody ever try that?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts