Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 249 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently picked up a base 67 Cougar. It's in very nice cosmetic condition so I want to up grade the engine. It's got the usual Ford 289 in it. Only piece aftermarket is the Flowmaster dual exhaust with an x pipe. I'm looking to up it's performance a bit.

I'm looking at getting an intake manifold, carburetor, HEI distributor, some headers, and braces.

Any suggestions on which brands or which parts to get first?

I've heard of using the Weiand Stealth high rise manifold. Will that fit alright in the bay or should I pick up an Edelbrock Performance low profile manifold? I have never worked on a carburetor before so any info there would be appreciated.

·
Registered
759 Posts
"Suggestions for 67 Cougar Upgrades"

Oh Hell don't get me started, you'll be broke within a week....

·
Registered
759 Posts
Let's see... 289s rev nicely, I'd look into a set of Hedman 88400 shorties and a nice Magnaflow exhaust. Then I'd swap on a 600 CFM carb (you pick the flavor) as well as a dual plane intake such as a performer or weiand. I assume its an auto? minor upgrades to the tranny to beef it up and get it shifting properly as well as a 2500 ish stall convertor. If you want to go deeper into the internals, swap out the sure to be stretched timing chain for a nice double roller, and install a cam to compliment the new breathing capabilities as well as the new convertor. A good OEM alternative is a 351 H.O. truck cam. We used to run those all the time and they liven up a stock 289/302. You will need to change the firing order to a 351W or 302 H.O... A hotter spark is nice, but the Ford HEIs kinda suck, they are huge and really don't do much for performance. I'd go with a MSD dizzy or just put a Pertronix in your old one and run a hotter coil.

Gears!, this is by far the biggest bang for the buck upgrade you could do, BUT, it is not for the novice, I would have a local shop set up the rear end with some 3.50 - 3.70 ish gears. I am personally running 3.73s with a T5

Damn, I shoulda taken my own advice here... I'd be cruisin with a fatter wallet. LOL!

Bill

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Haha. Well, hopefully I won't be breaking the bank any time soon. Unlikely. Great, thanks for all of that. This should keep me busy for a while. What tranny upgrades might I be looking at? I've actually never owned an automatic before so I don't really know what to do with one as far as upgrades.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Shift improver kit, upgraded servo cover, stall convertor, cooler, etc. C4s have a "2-3 flare" that drives some folks bonkers, so they spend much dollars trying to eliminate it. For daily cruising and spirited stoplight to stoplight action (on an sanctioned track with proper safety gear of course) the C4 is a great little auto. I personally have 4 of them...

·
Registered
759 Posts
Yes, it is. The OEM torque convertors have a low stall which hinders performance. For a fun street car I suggest no less than a 2500 RPM stall.

·
Registered
759 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Nope, you can use you old bolts or source some from Summit, Jegs, Ebay, etc. I use a stud kit, mainly because it looks cool and its easier to align the intake to the heads when assembling and they hold better under boost. I think I paid ~17 bucks or so for it.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Drive it and enjoy it ,,,,, buy a used 351W and a AOD transmission ... build them ... gather up the parts to install them .... then when ready do the swap ..... save the old motor n transmission for down the road ....

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks. Unfortunately, it'll be quite a while before I can afford to do anything that extensive. A few thousand for the engine, don't know how much for the tranny. That and I don't have the tools for an engine swap. I'll have to keep an eye out for a good deal and pick one up after I graduate. Hmm, maybe it'd make a nice graduation gift.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
That is why I said to ... "" Drive it and enjoy it "" buy all the stuff bit by bit to upgrade it and when you get it all ready do it ..... Your pissing away your money trying to make a stock bottom end 48 year old 289 motor FAST ....

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I know, but in the meantime I can still do some cheaper mods. Most of the stuff I'm looking at isn't much more than $100. Need something to spend my summer time and money on. The engine swap will probably wait till I actually have a career.

1 - 20 of 249 Posts