Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first off, to follow up the timing post questions, i think i got it! it still diels for a about a half second or so when i shut it off, but the knock is gone.

now...i got most of the vacuum lines redone or reconnected at least, but a couple small questions...the headlight covers close and open when the engine is running properly. but as soon as i shut the motor off they open again. i tried to see if there was a leak anywhere in the resovior under the drivers fender but it seems solid. any thoughts where else to look?

also i have the Autolite 4300 carberator. i found on the back side of it a hole for some kind of vacuum fitting that was covered with electrical tape. the shop manual i have(for mustangs, can't find a cougar one yet) shows a T-type fitting stuck in it, but doesn't have a name on it or say where it is conected to. if someone knows what i'm talking about i'd apreciate it.

oh yeah...i don't have any kind of windshield wiper cleaner fittings either. the hose is just loose under the hood. is there supposed to be a fitting in the cowl grill or on the hood somewhere?

i know it's a lot of questiosn, but this is the best palce i have found for answers so far. thanks again!!!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Finding vacuum problems is virtually impossible without a vacuum diagram. For example, if your car is a '69, that T fitting on the back of the carburetor actually connects to several other fittings that provide vacuum to the swing-away steering column (if so equipped), the headlamp cover system, the automatic transmission (if so equipped), the heater and A/C systems, and the power brake system. See what I mean about vacuum diagrams? Your Messtang book will cover everything but the headlight covers.

A few months back, we ran a series of articles on trouble shooting just the headlight vacuum system and the full procedure takes a couple of days...IF you have a schematic. The factory diagrams are so difficult to follow that we also designed a new color coded schematic for each model year system to go with the articles. Nobody else has ever taken the trouble to do schematics, and they were long overdue!

The reason the test takes so long is that there are dozens of places where small leaks can occur and it is most likely that your headlight covewr problem is a combination of leaks, rather than one big one. Hoses, for example, are notorious for leaking where they connect to other components because the ends dry out and split.

The important thing to remember about trouble shooting a vacuum system is to approach the job in a systematic manner, ruling out possibilities or fixing problems as you go from one end of the system to the other. In addition to a schematic, you'll need a vacuum gauge or a manual vacuum pump with a built-in gauge. The pump is the better choice because it eliminates the need to keep firing up the engine to create vacuum in the system.

If you're a TCCN subscriber, let me know and I'll tell you where to find the headlight cover trouble shooting information on the web site. Good luck!

Keep on Cattin'!

Steve

·
Registered
110 Posts
Windshield Washer Hook-up

Sorry...I forgot about the windshield washer question. There should be two rubber hoses mounted on the cowl (right under the back edge of the hood). One runs all the way across to the passenger side washer nozzle, and the other hose runs only a few inches to the driver side nozzle. The two should meet up at a white plastic F connector, which also connects to the hose from the washer fluid bottle.

Keep on Cattin'!

Steve

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i hadn't subscribed yet. but i did last night and looking throuigh the archives today...holy cow!!! i think between the two sites any future projects i come up with should be no problem. fantastic site guys!!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have the cougar manuals for vaccum and all the other factory books if you want to stop by my shop you can look at them and at my Cougar which is a 1969 so you have an example that everything works on. Call me at 845-2433. I will be glad to help you in any way. That number is good for around after 6:00 pm and there is answering machine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm thinking you hooked up the vacuum lines to the tank wrong. I've been told that tank under the driver side fender in the wheel well holds vacuum so when you shut the car off the lights are suppose to go down if you leave them up. Maybe you reversed them so they go up instead of down. Try disconnecting both hoses and hooking them up together with a fitting or brake line with out connecting them to the tank and see what happens. That's what I did with my 1967 Cougar because the tank was rotted and they work fine.

~Joe~

·
Registered
269 Posts
I know this topic was posted awhile ago, but would anybody have any idea what happened to the rest of my hose that ran from the sprayer nozzle side to the reservoir? Basically, I've got a broken sprayer hose sticking out three inches or so just after the firewall on the driver's side. I tried tracing the hoses from the bottom of my reservoir up to that broken point, but I have not found anything that is flopping around waiting to be reconnected.

Oh yeah, one more question, can anyone tell me why I can't get my picture uploaded in the garage folder?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts