Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, went to bed at around 1:30 this morning, and woke up at 8. I jumped in the Cougar and went straight down to Carls Jr for some french toast sticks (I love those). Well, while in the drive thru, I started going thru some stuff behind my seat, so I wasn't looking or paying attention to what was going on around me. Well, I must of let my foot off just a little on the brake, and started creeping forward, and bang, right into the truck infront of me. LOL, guess I was still half asleep. But anyway, it was so slow, I could have ran into his truck myself and hit it harder. But ofcourse, the pointiest part of my car was the only thing that hit his bumper, and it scraped some of his rubber off it (Was a chrome bumper with a black rubber mat thing on top of it, came factory like that.), did nothing to my car... So ofcourse he wanted all my information, but then after he really looked at it, he must have realized it was really not that big, and I probably did him a favor as, now it goes perfect with the dent in his tailgate from who knows what (Way too high for my car to hit it) he told me, "Gimme $60 bucks and we'll call it even". So, ofcourse I did... I know nothing would have probably been made out of it, but I didn't want the hassle of it all.

He didn't get any of my information (He wrote down my license plate number, but I made him give it back before I gave him any money, although I am sure he wrote it down again, or remembered it, 1HUS693 isn't that hard to remember...), and I didn't get any of his.

What a waste of $60 bucks, I bet it would have been cheaper to fix it, but the truck already had a couple dents, and it wasn't that noticable (Was a newer truck too).. Bet that $60 bucks bought him and his two friends lunch, he wont fix it I'm sure, its so small....

I have never done anything so stupid before in my life....

Anyone else do anything like this? Come on, give me some stories so I don't feel so bad :)

I hope he can't come back on me if he got a license plate number, although the guys in Carl's saw me get the money to give him....

Chris

It was a CHEVY too.... :D So then again, maybe it was worth the 60 bucks??

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
A couple of years ago I was leaving the liquor store with the nights refreshments and backed up into a half primered previously dented P.O.S.............1984.............. COUGAR:eek2:

I was in my truck and the parking lot was/is tiny... barely enough room to back out. Well this girl gets out ... I get out to survey the damage. Truck was undamaged...... Cougar had a nice dent in the quarter... Did I mention it was a P O S.... She started crying seems she had just bought the POS I gave her my info and I'm sure my insurance paid for a complete new paint job.........

Or how bout the time I was working on redcat... the moter was on HI-idle and I bumped the shifter in to reverse and squeeled the tires and backed up into my truck that was parked right behind the cat..... DOH.... I kept the cat covered for three weeks before the ole lady found out about that one LOL.....

Or how bout the time.......... Well that's enough.... you get the picture but it ends with me chasing my bronco down the street with nobody in it and barely stopping it before it hit my neighbors car....LOL

LIFE is funny in hindsight:D

Don

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
okay I was just moving into my new house and had hooked my utility trailer to my ranger. I was filling it full of rubish from the remodel i did and everything was going well. then i had to put this POS statue from the previous owner into the trailer and it was cement and big and probably to heavy for a guy with hernia scar that covers his whole stomach to lift but i thought with a little leverage....... so onto the tail gate of the trailer it went and low and behold it was at this time i found out i never tightened down the hitch and up went the front end of the trailer and bang into the back of my tailgate went the hitch. Nice big dent with black streaks. Difference is now in my older age i didnt swear cuss and yell at the trailer but just shook my head and told myself i was a dumba$$.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Driving out of the petrol station one day in our little Nissan bakkie, theres an old dear in front of us in a fox, and its a slight incline, needless to say she very slowly rolls back into the front side of our bakkie, we get out, look for damage, can't see anything and tell her not to worry, it must have been to gentle to make any damage, so off she goes, and off we go, try and turn the bakkie at the supermarket and theres an ominous screach from the front fender and tyre, check it out, the whole bumper and fender are pushed back about 4 cm's, causing the fender to hook on the tyre as we turned, causing major damage to the fender. Lesson to be learned, get the name and address, just in case.
Dayle
PS. our bakkie was make in Japan, her car was made in South Africa....................!!

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
The stupids

I unhooked boat & Trailer without blocking wheels. Boat starts down hill, I grab tongue and am dragged down over 4' bank. Boat and motor a total loss. Both left trailer with the drop & stop. Plus back so sore I could bairly stand for a week.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
A few years back when i still lived at the parents, I had brought the girlfriends z-28 home to clean up. Well being a volunteer fireman in a small town when the siren goes off you respond fast.
So i did, i jumped in my 4x4, and well i forgot, i parked the z behind the truck. You would think i would learn, about a year later she came over to see me in her t-bird, bad mistake another run and guess where see parked, still no dents in the truck.

My wife just reminded me about the dent in the taurus deck lid.
I had moved the eliminator that day and when i come home that night, in the dark i back right in to it.

If you see me coming your ok just don't get behind me.:(

·
Registered
18 Posts
my st00pid

I spent some time working for a local shop bustin tires once a graduated from high school, one day my roommate came to pick me up after my closing the shop for the evening. We were driving down the street maybe two more blocks to my house, and my roomie gets a call on his cell phone, So he pulls over to let me drive the rest of the way. hehe first off, let me tell what kinda car he had, a 1977 pony, baby blue LoL. anyhow, it was just starting to snow, a thin coat of the fluffy white stuff was on the roads as a pulled out onto the street. Well I was just getting up to speed when the car starts to drift over to the opposing lane, I started to panic, I tried everything I could to get control of the car, pumped the brakes, down shifted, even pulled the e-brake... Nothing was going to stop the car, finally we bounce up the curb and headed right for a fire hydrant, I remember thinking, well this is gonna suck, I braced myself, then BAM! ripped the fire hydrant right out of the ground, we rolled a few more feet and finally came to a stop. It was quite the experience seeing the water gush a good 12 feet in the air. took about five minutes for the police, the fire dept, and the city workers to show up, and of course we were young at the time, and the cops thought we were just horsin around, and slapped me with a speeding ticket. hehe the bone head got my name, and my birth date wrong on the ticket, so I contested it, and won!

That’s my stupid :p:

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
stupidest thing ive done?? let my buddy drive my car. had him move it 5 feet forward because i was blocking part of a driveway in school. next thing i hear is tires screeching and the engine running up a bit.... turn around and it looks like my car is doing a brake stand..... but its butted up against a Mustang parked in front of it. his excuse? he says it bogged a lil bit when he pressed the gas and seeing as my brake pedal and gas are a lil close, he claims to pressed both at the same time. hmmm, not good. thats the reason my front bumper is a lil wavy and deforemed if anyones ever noticed that. lesson to be learned though. nobody but me has driven my car since.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
OOOpsies

I've got a million of 'em.

I was sitting still at a traffic light in my 85 T-bird Turbo Coupe. I have my left foot down on the clutch, my right foot flat on the floor. The next thing I knew, my car is lurching forward into the back of the car in front of me. I hit him at all of less than 5mph, just enough to have my front license plate bracket cut his urethane rear bumper cover. No real damage. Rather than call the cops (rush hour in Cleveland) and wait to se if they bother to show up, I agree to give him $100 for the repair. I'm sure he never repaired it at all since it was just a cut in the paint in the rubber bumper.

What happened? On the stick trans Fox platform cars there is a little clutch cable about 1-1/2" long at the throw-out fork, and that broke. I had to drive my car the rest of the way home, in rush hour traffic, with no clutch. What a stupid thing that was! Fortunately, most of the rest of the commute was on the interstate.

Then there are my motorcycle stories, and the BetaCat hydroplaning whoopsie, and...

·
Registered
889 Posts
DOHH!!!

It was in the winter,these huge iceicles were hanging from the roof just below the back door they we about 5ft long,s I get a steel blade ice scaper stood back and launched this thing like a harpoon it goes up completely missing the target comes back down right in the middle of the trunk of my car.As soon as I threw it I knew I had a bad feeling.It was a slow motion effect all I could do was watch and feel like an idiot.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Ok the first one off the top of my head is the time I stopped after work at the mechanics shop to see about getting them to fix my semi I drove at work.

The freight terminal I worked at was about 3/4 of a mile down the road from the shop and it must have been like 300 deg below zero that night so I stopped my 77 f150 near the shop, set the emergency brake and let the truck run to finish warming it up for the ride home.

I was standing near the overhead door talking to the shop foreman when we all heard a big crash and looked up to see the front of my truck sticking through the 14' tall wooden overhead door.

Seems the parking brake decided to relase itself and away it rolled down the hill though the door. (yes it was set!)

It just scratched the paint up on the truck but they wernt too happy about having to cover up the opening on the door on a cold night like that.

At least it wasnt like I was in the truck when it ran through the door!! mm

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Ok Are you ready for the all time stupidist thing anyone could do? Picture this, its a hot summer day and your cruising thru town in your f150 thats lifted (6 1/2" with 35" tires)and your girlfriend is sitting close. Perfect right? Well it was close until the hot looking chick stepped out on the sidewalk beside the road. I couldn't resist I had to look, when I looked up to see if I got caught looking by my girlfriend then back to the road it was too late. I hit the brakes just in time to watch the 2 side windows fly out of an aspen wagon as well as the caved in tailgate, but thats not the end of it. The guys foot slipped off the brake and hit the gas sending him into the back os a little corolla and smashing the back of it also. Well the toyota lived but the aspen didn't and the truck had the rad support tweaked just enough that I had to bust the shroud to drive it home. (there was no front bumper on the truck)
John<<<King of the dip****s!!!
wvcat
BTW I was about 20 at the time and yes I got caught by my girlfriend....lol its funny now

·
Registered
252 Posts
My '68 Cougar used to have a problem with Minnesota winters. It would freeze up so that when I tried to close the door, it would just bounce back and not latch. The spray deicers did not do anything. After a little experimentation, I learned that if I pushed down the interior door lock knob and then closed the door, it would latch and pop up the knob. This worked fine for a while until one night I came into the parking lot at work on a -30 night. I jumped into the car and started it at a fast idle to get it warm. Then I got out to scrape off the windshield. I used the door closing trick but this time it closed and the button DID NOT pop up. Now I am outside the car at -30 degrees with the warm car running at fast idle and I have no spare key.
Now I am in serious risk of freezing to death and my Cougar is as warm as a toaster.
Seriously Dumb!! I had to walk about 1/4 mile to find an open door where I got the old coathanger.

·
Registered
67 Posts
My 68 had a loose connection or bum relay...I used to have to bump it off the relay periodically.

One time: I did so in the underground p-lot of our Calgary apt. bldg. I had it in neutral for what ever reason I forget, (I think you can see where this is going), and when the cat purred to life, I had about a split second to leap for mine...The wall was about 2-3 feet behind me. I made it w/o losing my legs or anything, but the cougar took to creasing and buckling above the front passenger wheel...The odd thing of it was, I disticntly remember a pivotal moment prior to leaping where I considered trying to stop it from smashing, but the thought of my body being used to buffer the impact between concrete and metal at fast idle was not happening...

To boot it was actually the wife's Cat, and as Ricky Ricardo would say:

I had some 'splainin' to do.

Talk about "no need to tell me twice"...I haven't had any such bizarre mechanical accidents since...That was back in '88.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Yeah!!!!

I think the stupidist thing I have EVER done is make that remark that one time about my wife's driveing talents...

This is good material for a poll.:xoli:

Has anybody ever done that foot slipped off the brake thing and bump a cop? I did!:1poke:

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
Well I wasn't driving a Cougar when this happened. I was in to Oldsmobile Cutlasses for a while before I got the Cougar bug. One night I was leaving the parking lot of a local watering hole and decided to roast the tires. I smoked them in first and second. I hit third and as I did so I broke the wood handle off the shifter, so I turned right at the next street and stopped to find it. I was feeling around on the floor when I noticed a Cop stopping in front of me and looked in the mirror to see another one pulling in behind me. It seams I did the smoke show in front of them. Some how I got off with a verbal warning and told not to do that any more.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I backed up into a dumpster one time, good thing I was going slow, but it did put a small ding in the bumper, I gave the dumpster the finger and took off.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Another stupid act in traffic... And I do mean STUPID!

Once on my way home I decided that I really needed something from the glovebox... well it was locked.... but if I turned the ignition off and took the key out I could unlock the glovebox...
So I did realizing, when I heard a "click", that , hey no steering! (Don't know the english word for it but the "steering-lock" (?) had engaged... wich I knew it would but I just didn't think...)
Hit the brakes and waited to smash into the gardrail beside the road...
Front fender, wheel, suspension, bumper, battery etc was damaged...

I felt pretty stupid explaining what had happend...
Of course, what had happend was that the steering suddenly had "dissapeared" for no obvious reason causing the crash... I don't think anyone believed that story....

Luckily there was no other traffic on the road at that time so I didn't crash into someone else...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts