Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Take two medium to big flat screwdrivers, and use to pry with between the drum and the backing shield, place them on opposite sides and wiggle back and forth, and perhaps tap the drum with a hammer a little around the edge while prying,

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Tapping first after you have backed off the shoes, this will aid in allowing springs to work, and pull the shoes in. Then take the two screw drivers like Jan Ove says and begin putting pressure to pull the drum off. Tapping while using the screw drivers is smart too.

This problem has been around for years and years.

I wish you well,

Dale in Indy

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
BFH, I have had some that ya just had to beat on! Not on a cougar but on a truck ya grab the biggest hammer ya got!

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do the FRONT drums come off the hub or do you need to remove the drum as an assembly from the spindle? I was able to get the drum and off by removing the cotter pin and slipping it off the spindle. Seems that this is the way i had to do it when i replaced the brakes a few years ago.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
On fronts, remove drum/hub as an assembly. On the rears, if the drum is stuck to the axle (as often happens), a big hammer is the trick to free it from the axle, along with some penetrating oil for good measure.

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Ahh so it was the front drums you where trying to get off, i assumed it was the rear drums, well front is different than the rear as you have found out now.
We should have asked in the beginning what end you where working at, and you could have said witch end when you asked ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts