Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if any model of the 67-68 Cougar came with a Strut Tower Brace? Or maybe one on the same year Mustangs?

If they did or didn't...does anyone know if there is an aftermarket one?

Also, I'v heard a lot of talk about strengthening the shock towers because our cars are old. What's the best way to do this?

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
ken,
do you mean the 2 bars that go from the towers to the firewall? They all came from the factory w/ them.I do not think they came as a 1 piece though they were all 2 piece ones.Plus if you got w/ a 1 piece and a monte carlo bar them 2 will stiffen up the front end alot and help from flexing.You should feel a big difference in the front end once you add them both.But theres a kick to it.Jack up the front end by the crossmember under the motor and let it sit for a few hours,to let the towers relax and settle .Then unbolt the old ones and add the 1 piece tower brace and then the monte carlo bar.Torque them to the specs or tighten(however it is recommended) then lower the car then your all set.
thanks
pat

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I was thinking of just one bar when I asked the question.

Thanks for your answer though, that looks like what I'll have to do. Do I already have a Monte Carlo bar that came stock, or are those aftermarket accessories?

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
klen,
those are aftermrkets.But some of the shelby mustangs came thru when the car was modified. it loks like either a straight bar across to the 2 towers that sit above the engine or they sell a curved version that curves around the air cleaner.
thanks
pat

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
KEN,
sorry about that my fingers are moving faster then the words in my head
thanks
pat

1 - 5 of 5 Posts