Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I got my new strut rods from Mustangs Unlimited today and I have a couple questions. These rods are set up differently than the ones that were on the car.

The ones on the car had an area right at the end of the rod that was threaded in a smaller diameter than the area where the bushings are installed. A nut and cotter pin installed there to provide a lock fit for the bigger nut.

On these new ones, there is no smaller threaded area. It looks like you just use a lock nut to hold the strut in place. Is this an updated improved version of the old design or a cheap repop?

I'm also concerned because I was always taught that once you loosen a lock nut, it has to be replaced or it won't hold as well. So, if I install the rods and then have an alignment done, will I have to have them replace the nuts at that time?

Neal

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Neal I have a feeling that they were just cheaper to produce that way with less machining. I used to use alot of nylock locking nuts on my race cars and have reused them with out any trouble so if you went with them and they had to be adjusted once for an alignment I would feel confident that you wont have any trouble with them. mm

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
I agree, but if you are still concerned, if theres room, put another locknut on each side after the alignment.

Rick

Always think safety over looks.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Thats another idea, you could use two thin jam nuts and they wouldn't look bad at all that way.mm

1 - 4 of 4 Posts