Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys on my 1968 the rear is done, the new springs, bushings and shackles are in place and now the front is in progress.

I have the driver's side 95% done, but I've run into an issue. The threads on the strut rod are damaged over the last 1/2 inch or so. This wasn't an issue with the old bushings, as they compressed more than enough so that the nut was nowhere near the last 1/2 inch. But with the new ones, I need that last 1/2 inch. Any ideas? Do they make a die that big? Anybody have a source for a new/used/repop strut rod?

Neal

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
New strut rods can be had from most mustang supplyers and maby the Cougar supplyers. Don Rush at West coast classic cougars will have used ones. Also check with local Cougar and mustang owners. Neal.:)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Check out Paddock for strut rods.
I've been checking around, and so far they've got about the best price - about $32 each according to the Mustang catalogue.

http://www.paddockparts.com/

You may want to replace the mounting bolts as well if your current ones are worn or stripped.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
New Strut Rods

Okay, I struck out on getting the strut rod threads repaired, so I'm looking at ordering some new ones. Mustang Unlimited's Cougar division has a nice price, $19.95 each. I just have one concern, the description for the right hand strut rod says this: "C9ZZ3468CR Designed for '69 Boss & '70-73 all, but will work for all '68-73." The left hand one has no such description.

Does this mean that if I order left and right hand strut rods from them I'll have 2 different strut rods on the car? And if so, will it make a difference?

Neal

·
Registered
163 Posts
They should be the same - well, the same save for being RH vs. LH. Far as I know any of the Mustang strut rods for 68-73 will work.
Good call on the price though - just ordered a pair myself :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts