Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, I'm in the process of rebuilding the front end of my 68 cougar. Am building my own adjustable strut rods, roller lower control arms, and have already built my roller spring perches, installed moog upper ball joints. I have a new set of calvert 90/10 shocks, new spring isolators, new upper a-arm bolts on the way. My question is= will 67 strut rod to lc bolts fit on a 68? I can get the 67 bolts for 12 bucks, or the 68 bolts for 38 bucks. Looks to me the only difference is the 68's are a little longer, with a cotter pin hole. I could care less if its not original, as long as it functions properly. This is a drag car not a original show piece. Thanks all!

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
The 1968 strut rod blots are larger diameter (1/2" vs 7/16" if I remember correctly). If you don't care, don't bother with the rib neck bolts with cotter pins. My Street or Track strut rods came with run of the mill grade 8 bolts and nylon insert nuts.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, thanks, couldn't tell by the photos on there site. guess I could reuse my old ones, but might go with some new grade 8's, always like to have new hardware on a rebuild

·
Registered
708 Posts
$38 bucks?!?!?!? My Global West adjustable strut rods only came with a lock washer and a grade 8 nut. I used thread locker, but I think I might switch to a nut with the nylon insert instead.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts