Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The cougar is the first carburetor car I've owned that I've parked in a garage. All my others, (Monte Carlo and Cadillac) were kept outdoors. My question for all you seasoned owners, should I be concerned if I smell gas after I park my car. I literally have to open my garage door to air it out after I've driven the cat.

Is this normal or is there something wrong that needs to be looked at or adjusted? I keep it full of gas but I've noticed the smell even when I only had a 1/4 of a tank left, I'm sitting at 3/4 now. I noticed the smell when I first got the car and Ken from Ken's Cougars suggested that I check the rubber fuel filler hoses and clamps in the trunk which I did. There are no fuel leaks anywhere just the smell, anyone have a clue?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Check all the fuel line of course but if it is going on after you drive it, pull the air cleaner and look for anything wet around the carb.

·
Registered
106 Posts
A little bit of a fuel smell is normal yes, a LOT of fuel smell no. Is the smell strongest in the trunk?

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Look at the carb venturi's immediately after shutting down the engine to see if fuel is dripping down into the manifold. If yes, looks at float(s) setting(s), needles and seat(s) and possibly fuel pressure.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Does the car start easily? If not, it's possible your carb is getting hot and boiling fuel out of the bowl.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I replaced the hose from PCV valve to carburetor spacer which eliminated that problem for me.

·
Registered
270 Posts
My car does the same thing when I drove it on hot days, would stink up the garage pretty bad. Curious as to what you may find

·
Registered
379 Posts
I had the same problem found out it was the gas cap, the rubber seal was old, changed it and the problem was gone.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I had a similar problem. After checking to see if the carb was running rich (which it wasn't), and checking the tank, it turned out that the rubber hose from the fire wall to the fuel pump had cracked and turned to powder in 2 places. I only noticed it when gas started to pool under the car. I replaced that, and no more gas smell. I have a 67, so I don't know if it appllies to you.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
A little bit of a fuel smell is normal yes, a LOT of fuel smell no. Is the smell strongest in the trunk?
Are you saying that because it might be a California car (one originally sold there)?
Although all owners should check there too, people who own California cars should for sure check their fuel evaporation thingy/chingadera in the left side of the trunk. Mine had some bad lines or bad connections and they caused a gasoline odor in the car sometimes. I always thought it was dangerous.

·
Registered
210 Posts
some braided fuel lines also have a slight odor of gas as well.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Some good thoughts there - try using your whiffer as your guide. Park it outside and go over it really well both cold and hot - see what you find? Might be able to narrow it down at least...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts