Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone stroked a pre 71 351w block? If the the block is decked and align honed are there pistons available for such a short deck height?
Thanks for any help in advance.
Glen

69 Cougar sport special

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
as far as i know, there was another thread on here that said you should use 302 pistons for the stroker. im not 100% on that, but it should be worth a look at least

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
It depends on the stroke your wanting to use. But if you notice they really dont list years when listing 351w pistons. You just know that in the later blocks they sit farther in the hole than the early blocks. Thats why the early blocks were higher compression motors than the early ones with the same size head chambers.

Just so you know, you shouldn't deck a motor untill you know what the compression height is. And the early blocks wont need anything more than a cleanup deck.

What are you trying to build? mm

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well this is what i'm going for .
3.85 crank for 393 ci
5.956 H beam rods
Twisted wedge R series heads
Comp cams Xtreme Energy solid roller cam and lifters([email protected] 242in/248ex , lift .608in/.614ex) Not sure about this cam yet.
Comp cams pro magnum 1.6 roller rockers
Victor jr intake
MSD 6AL
MSD pro billet distributer
And a carb in the 750 cfm - 850 cfm range.

No machine work will be done till i have the rotating ass'y in my hand . The reason i asked this question is KB's website has 393 pistons but they say 71 and up blocks . If you add 1.925(half of stroke)+ 5.956 (rod length) + 1.608 (KB 393 stroker piston comp height) =9.489 . Thats already above the deck.Trick flows pistons are 1.610 so they would be even higher. They have some 302 pistons with 1.600 and that would be fine but once it gets align honed and even just a .001 deck cleaning and i'm a thou over. Thats assuming my block will clean up that easilly.

Thanks for the help.
Glen

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh ya .Vacuum can will be used. Idle will be crap , and i don't care about emissions. I have a weekend car already the Cat is for pure fun only. :D
Glen

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I don't remember the measurement my pistons stuck up thru my block on assembly. It was close enought that the head gasket made clearence for it. The pistons were federal .150 domes and felpro gaskets. Its a stock stroke 351w I figured 10.5 compression.
John
wvcat

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Now I see what your doing. And I see you also answered your own question. The good thing is windsor blocks are plentifull and cheap. I suggest you find one.

That stroker is going to build compression in a hurry so pay attention to what your target compression is going to be.

It's been along time ago but I did a 377 ci stroker and I used a early block. I was a .200 stroker that used 6" rods with 302 pistons. If I remember right the pistons ran .010 out of the block. But it was a 13.8 -1 motor, race only.

If I can ever come up with the cash I intend to do a motor about the same as your planning, but I plan on using cast iron World Products heads and a milder cam. Just use mine for a crusier but would like the extra power for messing around in case a unsuspecting chevy needs its A** kicked.mm

·
Registered
246 Posts
Woo, I gotta save some of this someday.

I plan on saving up for a stroker, although I'm not gonna go with such high RPM power makers.

I was thinking a nice dual plane manifold, some good flowing heads, nice power from 2-6k

and a 396 :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts