Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, everyone. I was thinking about what to do on my 69 351W 2v engine. It's currently bone stock, and has never even had the valve covers off. It is the original motor with 95,000 original miles on it, and it runs great. I got to thinking about the future of it, however. Whenever it comes time for a rebuild, there are several choices. I could do a standard rebuild, new pistons, valve job, etc. But, more power would be nice. I want to keep the car streetable, but some seat-in-the-pants feel would be much appreciated. Converting to a 4v and 351 shorty headers would happen whenever it gets rebuilt. I know you can stroke a 302 to a 347, and that seems very popular. What could a 351 be stroked to? I'm loooking for low end power mostly, and to keep the engine the original block. What are some options or general pricetags for the various options? Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's two 351 stroker kits on ebay:

eBay Motors item 2400987790
eBay Motors item 2400987840

Would these be all that I need to have a stroker? And would it really be 393 cubes or what? Sorry to be a novice at motors, but they're just not my speciality.

·
Registered
160 Posts
THE 393 stroker for the 35W seems to be very popular as I keep seeing a lot of people doing this and may someday do the same to my 351. Now the strokers as I hear you need the crank pistons and maybe some block clearancing depending on your connector rod lengths. Sorry can not be anymore help but somebody else on here can probably give you a more definitive answer.

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
there is some machining to the block to make way for clearnce and if you fo for it get the machining and the miloden 4 bolt mains as well. the 393 is a great comprmise from the 427 stroker since it wont be as aapt to burn oil.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
oil ring??

take a looka at thier piston for the 427 /351 Windsor. Seems to have solved the oil problem. What's your opinions?

Cougar Bill

P.S. Looking for a tiny clip that broke in my 70 tilt column. Anybody got spare parts??

·
11,000 Posts
I recommend you stay away from Flatlander. They are pretty clueless and not very wise businessmen. They advertise things they cannot deliver.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Royce Peterson said:
I recommend you stay away from Flatlander. They are pretty clueless and not very wise businessmen. They advertise things they cannot deliver.
YIKES! I was about to buy a rebuild kit for the 289 from them......:1poke:

Lab Rat

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Royce, that's the first time I have heard anyone NOT recommend Flatlanders. I had heard that Probe Industries (Coastal?) was bad news. My father is looking at Flatlanders for his stroker kit. Can you be more specific? Off line if you want....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts