Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what is the best ways, and quickest for stripping paint? I have tried the Aircraft Paint Remover but didn't take much of it off and it sure was a mess!

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Yes, Aircraft/paste strippers are very messy and not much fun. You have to work it in small 1' sections or so and not let it dry out before you scrape off the goo! It's not a fast method. The easiest method is to have it media blasted - but that assumes you have the thing stripped down and don't have to worry about the dust getting into every crack/crevice etc. I had about 2 coffee cans of hardened goo when I got mine done!! Plus you stull have to final sand the stuff you couldn't get off that re-hardened before you can even hit it with primer (use acid etch primer at this stage)

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
DA sander and 80 grit works pretty well. Also scraped a lot of the paint off mine with a gasket scraper/sharp putty knife. If the paint is old enough and the scraper has the right edge (not too sharp, not too dull and the blade stiff) the paint will splinter (and your face gets speckled with it, oh joy!) and come right off down to just a little primer, or again at least it did on my car.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Bob

P.S. I agree about paint stripper although I used that on some stuff too, it sure does make some mess! (and is caustic to skin, etc...)

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know if a DA sander will keep up with this little compressor I got here. Gotta find a good deal on one locally and try it out.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I have done it three different ways. First was aircraft stripper on the Mustang in 1985. The color coat came off pretty easy but the red oxide took two coats afterwards to remove. It was tough stuff. Second was soda blasting on the F100. Only way possible because I wanted both sides of all panels stripped. Chemical would have slipped into cracks and all the backsides were impossible to sand effectively. This was for inner fenders, fenders, gravel guards and most of all the massive hood. The doors used aircraft stripper since they were totally flat and easy. The roof used a 6" abrasive pad 3M from Eastwood) on my 4 1/2" Makita which easily handled it. First used these pads in 1985 to clean up a surface and make it ready for epoxy.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I tried the scraper idea on the door and got the top coat of the paint off pretty easy as it seemed that it didn't bond too well to the red primer underneath as that is rock hard and wont scrape off. Off to buy some nice sanding disks for the angle grinder to try out.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Well I tried the scraper idea on the door and got the top coat of the paint off pretty easy as it seemed that it didn't bond too well to the red primer underneath as that is rock hard and wont scrape off. Off to buy some nice sanding disks for the angle grinder to try out.
Well, there you go!

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Careful not to get the metal too hot from grinding or it will warp! Many a cougar fender top is no longer straight because of too much heat sanding off old paint.

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Ditto on the 3M abbrasive pad. they r expensive, but takes everthing off and doesn't heat up the metal.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ditto on the 3M abbrasive pad. they r expensive, but takes everthing off and doesn't heat up the metal.
Actually that's what I picked up so we'll give it a shot this weekend.

Man it was nice with the last 2 Cougar projects having my buddy near by with his custom shop doing this for me. That's when money was good before falling 3 stories, so this one I am doing all the grunt work myself to see if I can get it done in an affordable way and hopefully in less then 10 years!

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Post pics of your progress

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I will but unfortunately had to take a couple of days away from the Cat to put together and install new Ikea kitchen cabinets. Joy, joy!!!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Electric jitterbugs work well too for removing paint, and for working down body filler. Ive got one of those multi tools from HF with the triangle sanding pad that works well in corners and areas where a big sander can't be gotten into.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts