Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to the body shop today to check on the cougar, quite interesting to find out that some of the metal body was galvinised, headache for the guy who is doing it cos' he now has to apply 'wash primer' to it first, then etch primer, then normal primer, and finally the colour.
I've attached a picture that I took today, it shows where the metal was rusting underneath the paint. They have to chisel off the paint that is 'breaking' loose, then strip off all the other paint the normal way.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If the metal is not correctly primed it will rust, oxygen gets in under the paint as the paint does not adhere properly to the metal and that causes it to rust.

·
Registered
889 Posts
could be

Do you think at some point in time that a vynil top was on the car and it was removed.What dose the bodyman think? see if there are holes filled in around theback to the other side.Dan

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, first off I was going to say No, no vinyl its a hardtop, but there again, did the vinyl go over the metal or what, I know CK's top is vinyl, but its not a convertable, why would vinyl be put over a normal roof? To me its a coupe, normal all over, no vinyl, but........its the only one I have ever seen, in real life.:)

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
Many car manufactures put vinyl tops on their vehicles in the 60s and 70s and most of the upscale models did so. On yours many came with half the roof covered the other half not.

·
Registered
889 Posts
lots of after markets too

During my high school days I put on after market tops,molding ect.Boy that was a crazy time,Jammin R&R tunes,spraying 3M glue with an 18 year old kid drilling holes in your brand new car. If I buy new always get factory options I know better. Dan

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Went and had a look at the cat at the bodyshop, and yes there are holes, that is where they had to remove all the paint/bodyfiller as thats where it was rusted the worse. There are about 5 or 6 small holes, in a line, about 3or4 inches apart on both sides, could'nt see anything on the top of the roof, but that is still painted.
The red dots show where the holes were drilled -aproximately where that is.

·
Registered
889 Posts
braze them

If its just fill it wont hold unless he has some tricks up his sleeve,You might want to ask if he can fillem in,maybe braze them in or weld.I think an ark weld may be to hot and warp the metal.Fillers are great but it still leaves a moisture problem from the back side.Believe me there are plenty of "rust techs" in here.They may come up with another method.If your finding this under the paint give it the magnet test in other areas it might surprise you good luck Dan

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It looks like they did try and braze them before the purple spray job, but it still shows where it was, the aerial hole in the front is the worst, they must have made a disc the same size and then brazed it in, but now its coming out, see pic. The guy thats doing the job seems to have a few tricks up his sleeve, and I am taking photos all the time, telling him they're going to USA so he is pretty chuffed and will hopefully make that extra effort.
There is a new hole drilled for the aerial at the back, it does look better on the back, trouble is they went to all the effort of changing its position and then put in a really cheap aerial, altho I guess the one I got with her might have been a quick replacement.

·
Registered
889 Posts
sounds good

tell the body guy that there are a lot of Cats watching him and just not the ones in the jugle either.Good luck Dan

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think the poor guy is starting to realize that, also told him that my friend with the 1970 camaro wants to check out the end result cos' her camaro needs alot of bodywork, way more than the cat needed, figures:)

·
Registered
889 Posts
costs by me

Myneighbor on his 60 bonniville took his to the shop for a fram on restoration he paid 28,000 fr the car a convertible,they hit him for 65.00 an hour labor plus parts 34.000.total-62,000 it looks great but its not worth more than 30,000.But he met his wife in a car like that no price to high for love I guess.Dan

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dan

Thankfully this guy did not give an houly labour charge, he walked round the car, prodded and poked, dug out some paint, looked at all the rust, gave it a thorough going over, then sat down, did some figures in his head and gave me a set price.
The way they are slowly chipping away at the 'damaged' paint I would hate to know what an hourly rate would cost.

I have come to believe that whoever does your car, has to love your car as well, you get a much better job done, this guy really likes the cat.........whats not to like:)

So I am going to get a good job done.....I hope!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts