Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im thinking about striping the Cougar when i paint it this time around. does anyone have any pics of a cougar with a pair of band aid style stripes going over the hood and trunk?? im planning on white ones over the same color gold and i think i would benefit from seeing it beforehand. and im still not sure about how wide to make them, one guy said 12 inches, but i am hinking more like 8. i still dont know. all opoinions are welcome. the cat WILL be at the Ford show this April... all pretty or not.

·
Registered
118 Posts
WHAT I WOULD DO IS GET A COUGAR MODEL KIT PAINT IT THE COLOR THAT THE ORIGIONAL WILL BE AND THEN TRY DIFFERENT STRIPE COMBOS, PLENTY OF KITS ON EBAY, WHY NOT GO WITH THE ELIM. STRIPES?;)

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I agree with ragtop, why not clone it? I have to assume you have ginger interior that will "go with" a lot of different colors. I am thinking of changing the color on wvcat but am still undecided but I have to match blue interior. One look at logans cat and you can see an arguement for solid colors!!! Decisions, decisions .... Probably the best thing to do is pick your favorite color that matches the interior (unless you want to change that too) and paint it that color and match the stripes to the interior or an oppisite color on the color wheel.
Good luck
John
Oh yeah check this page out:http://www.geocities.com/wvxr7cougar/Colors.html

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
What do you mean by Band Aid style stripe?

LOL I'm visualizing a "Band Aid" that goes over a dent that says "ouch".......or maybe a Superbee style "rear 1/4 over the trunk" or a 442 style "front fender over the hood"???????

Tell me what you want, send me a good pic (or post it here) and I'll add it in Corel Photoshop. I'll post it back. I did it for a guy awhile ago who wanted to see what a red lazer stripe would look like on his black 70 Torino.

It's Navajo brown, black top, white interior, right? IMHO an Eliminator stripe wouldn't make it look like a real Eliminator, so why not do something different. Since you have the Sport Special rocker panel mouldings, why not do pin stripes that follow the curve. Or if you want to do something different, do a wider contour stripe. I always thought it was odd that the factory Eliminator stripes didn't. When I was a kid I did a model of a 70 in brown with an orange contour stripe, tan interior.

Just thinking out loud!
Tim B

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
personally i never liked the Eliminator stripes, the 70 ones were ok, but still didnt say "Muscle car" to me. by Band Aid style i mean like the 70 Chevelle SS style stripes. BTW i do have a lil Cougar too... maybe i should stripe it first

Attachments

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BTW heres the real one again, i suck with Photoshop so if ya could help me out that would help. im thinking Wimbledon white or something like that.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
oooohhh, i like yeah, like that, im still not too sure about the outline on the stripes though ( i might, but thats more work for me LOL )

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
sixt9, how about black hood strips instead of white? With the black roof maybe they would look better? Just a thought.mm

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
originally i wanted black stripes, but the more i thought about it, the worse it looked to me. i think it will look too busy with black stripes. and i personally dont think that it will match the interior as well either. im kinda shying away from the trunk stripes now too. i think ill just do the hood and cowl

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
The color of your car doesn't lend itself to many strip colors without looking out of place, have you thought of a whole new color? It appears you have white interior which will go with anything. How about masking the stripes off then painting the car white or black? Another thought would be a set of gold stripes, subtle but may look cool.
John

1 - 20 of 23 Posts