Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went out to go get a coffee, my Cougar started up fine and off I went. I pulled into the parking lot of Tim Hortons, parked the car, and shut it off. When I returned, I got back in, put the key in the ignition and tried to start it back up... Nothing happened. I still had power to the radio etc. but the engine would not crank over. After fumbling around for a bit trying to figure out why my car wouldn't start, I bumped the steering wheel, and holy ****, I thought I had just broke it! It was like i had til steering for a bit, and after the steering wheel fell back into place, the car started fine. I was worried about the steering wheel, but I drove back home and everything seems to be normal. So my questions are, is this normal? Is the steering wheel suppose to do that?

Thanks for your help!

Steven

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
What year is your Cougar? I fit a 70+ then it has the ignition in the column. Sounds like the rod that moves the slider in th eswitch was out of whack. You may want to tighten that (and the steering column up). :)

·
Registered
266 Posts
sounds like you dislocated your steering wheel...lol

·
Registered
669 Posts
what year is your car? You sure you don't have tilt?? You may have tilt with tilt away. My '68 has this. The tilt away feature works on vacuum. When the car is parked, off, and you open the door, the steering will move out of the way. You have to pull it back into place and then the car will start. It won't start with the steering out of the way.(so yu don't drive down the street with the steering sitting up in the air!)
It only takes the steering to move slightly out of the way and the car will not start.
Bert

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
CSR_Piper said:
It was like i had til steering for a bit, and after the steering wheel fell back into place, the car started fine. I was worried about the steering wheel, but I drove back home and everything seems to be normal. So my questions are, is this normal? Is the steering wheel suppose to do that? Steven
Steven-
You have a '68 don't you? Sounds like to me you have a '68 w/tilt! Now just to get it to tilt the way it is supposed to when it is supposed to...
Chuck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts