Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently in the process of stripping down a 1967 Cougar XR7 for a fresh coat of paint. The engine currently in the car is a 289. I am going to replace the 289 for sure, but I need a little help deciding what exactly to replace it with. I really want to kick some Pony @#$ from light to light, but I also want to drive this baby to work daily also.

Any suggestions appreciated. Keep in mind that the less modifications I have the better, and I would like to spend no more than 3.5 to 4K on the motor.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
No offence meant here but.. WAKE UP.. have you seen the news lately about street racing. Take it to a track.
Now onto the motor. Pick up a 351W. it will bolt right in and instant hp change, even stock. Put on a 4 barrel intake/carb, headers, and a 260* cam, and your ready to race AT THE TRACK.

Rick

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rick

No offence taken. You maybe confused on the light to light expression, just looking for an engine that delivers on request and takes no stuff from the Pony.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
ok, cool. :)

Sorry but with all the news street racing is getting, some people just dont learn. :(

For more hp, a 351W would be a great upgrade, a 289 could never do anything near that without going extreme, or stroking. And most brackets and stuff will bolt on, tranny, mounts,etc.

Have fun. and post some pictures when you can.

Rick

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
the windsor is your best bet straight over bolt in with just some kick down rod mods for the tranny and headers but all can be had aftermarket. great boost in power no replacement for displacement

·
Registered
889 Posts
here you go

make an offer for my 4.11 with my 390 and the C-6 thats all it dose is chase lights.I'm going with a 3.50

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Draggin'

In this state of North Carolina, if you get caught draggin' on the streets it's a manitory 3 year lost of your license! Ouch!:eek2:

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
In 2000, 2 18 year olds in Surrey (suburb of Vancouver BC) street raced and killed a lady walking down the street. They had there court apperance 2 days ago and they got served with HOUSE ARREST for 2 years. The judge is getting in so much crap for her call, and the guys are laughing. They should be hung, they killed an innocent lady and all they got was probation. NOT FAIR.....

Rick

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
What about the Group II Cougars? They ran the 289 with dual four barrels....and so did the Shelby. You can get lots of power out of that motor. Just have to do a little bit of work.

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
true the 289 is a great spinner but so is the windsor. after all it is just a larger 289 for simplified discusion. and the horse power gains are phenomanal when you figure the low weight loss you recieve. but building your already owned 289 can be just as promising so it matters soley how much your willing to shell out. Horse poweer is only limited by your check book.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Hey now! No need to talk bad about Ponies! After all, where would the cougar be without the Pony? Geez, I cannot beleive I just said that. I had to say that because I bought one recently. Anyway, the 289 is a great little motor. You can build a great daily driver out of one. It all depends on what you are willing to spend. I have looked into the 5.0 swap and I am really leaning towards that but it's still a little more than I can afford to spend right now. You have to ask yourself what you want out of your car, then you can figure out what engine you want.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Welcome to the forum John, I like windsors, they can pack quite a punch and you will knock the hooves off of James pony..!!!!

LOL. Just kidding James.

Back to the coug, You'll have to post some pics out there so we can see what your cat looks like before you start your restoration.

See ya around.

Tad.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Im not knocking the 289. My Fairlane had one and it was great. It had a 4 barrel intake/carb, headers, 280* Erson cam, elec. ignition, etc. and it rocked. But I could of gotten more hp from a windsor swap with the same upgrades :) Since that motor, I swapped in a 390, and the stock 390 totally kills the upgrades I did on the 289, so more to come :)

Rick

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
If you have 3500 to 4000 than buy the Ford Racing 351w ready to go and bolt it in! For the $$ you can't build your own and its more than you'd EVER need for a street car...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you all for your input concerning my new engine choice. I am sure that in the very near future I will be posting more questions and I hope the same response will be had. Thanks again.

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
James the good thing is that Tad could actually loose money modifing his rarer car while those of us run of the mill guys can do whatever we like:D and horse power equals money so with enough money you can acomplish anything.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts