1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Looks to be in remarkably good condition considering it's watery resting place. Must not be a lot of oxygen in that pond to cause rust.

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
This is the first addition to our "hall of shame" in about three years!

Mystery solved: Police say car pulled from Round Pond was stolen in 1973

<small style="color: rgb(153, 153, 153);">
</small>

SMITHVILLE – Police have identified the owner of the 1970s era Mercury Cougar convertible found in Round Pond and know how it came to rest at the bottom of 26-acre body of water.
According to Lt. Richard Cobb of the Chenango County Sheriff’s Department, the vehicle was stolen from outside the Sportsman Inn in Smithville Flats in 1973 while its owner, Addison McLaud, was inside the bar.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Looks like we found Bob's next project.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
It's dissapointing that skeletal remains of the thief were not found in the car!

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Wow, crazy! I wanna see more pics! I also wonder if there are any good parts on it that weren't affected by being underwater so long, since it's been down there since it was almost brand new (maybe some of the plastic pieces?). Kinda reminds me of the 1957 Plymouth that was buried in Tulsa for 50 years in a "vault" and dug up in 2007 only to discover it was completely underwater. Not pretty.

·
Registered
8,194 Posts

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
That will buff out.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Notice anything made of die-cast is gone without a trace!
Yeah, I did notice that. Door handles, grille, marker bezels... What surprises me is that you can still see the light green frost paint!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts