Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok i was wondering what is better:
Electric Fan that turns on with the car or the thermo switch activated one. OR

Stock belt driven fan( non clutch type)?

I have both and need to know which one goes or do they both stay...or i am lost....lol

Please let me know your thoughts and remeber i have a Cleveland so we all know how WARM they can get.

ALSO on Electric fans is push or pull set up better?

Mine is on push cause it won't fit with the stock fan there for pull style.
Again PLMK your thoughts

THANKS TONS PEEPS!!!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Pull is more efficient than push.
As long as a fan supplies the neceesary CFM of air to adequately carry the heat away from the radiator it is doing it's job. In this respect, neither mechanical nor electric is better.
Electric fan will free up some HP by reducing parasitic drag on the motor.
To get the adequate CFM on a standalone electric may require alt upgrade.
A mech clutch fan will offer the least drag of mech units as it disengages at higher speeds when fan is not necessary.
You can setup your electric with a thermostat so it comes on as needed.
Hope this helps.
BTW - the Lincoln Mk VII is the OEM mother of all electrics. It produces somewhere near 4200 CFM. The down side is that it draws about 30 amps.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OMG!!!

Now thats CFM, so what i would have to go with a 140 amp alt???
Also is it a easy swap?

·
Registered
123 Posts
The swap is easy enough, you just need to get the measurements as I seem to remember it is a fairly large unit. If you decide to go aftermarket, you can't go wrong with the SPAL units, they are pricey...but who wants to be stranded with a dead fan:cry:
Alt needs are just a matter of math. Add up the draw for all your components (most of these are listed in you manual) and your stereo in, as applicable. The other consideration is how many amps the alt produces at idle adn low speed. a 140 amp alt is not worth much if it is only making 15 amps at idle (just an example):D Most of the vendors can give you these specs for the alt you are looking at.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wll it would be the Fan and my CD player thats it No options on my Car...unless you mean headlights and all...lol
Any suggestions on ALT's and how much the monster is gonna run me, also will i have to pull any sensors with it?

·
Registered
429 Posts
I think the best price I found the Mark VIII fan was Houston Performance. They had it for $100. I think that was a year ago so I'm don't know now. They have a web site so just email them. Also, there are a couple of web pages that detail the instalation of the Mark VIII fan in a couple of different vehicles.

Logan,

Why is the mustang one easier to install?

Austin

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Dave

Did you have the "HOT" problems before you put on that 4v and 4v intake? Just wondering...:sun:

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Judy

Hey i have not put on the 4v conversion yet still ran into some problems!
So yes i guess i did:)

·
Registered
433 Posts
Fans

The 65 Fairlane my motor came from used both a pusher and a puller fan ond the front and back side of the radiator respectivly. The engine was a 302 bored .60 over running about a 10.5 to 1 compression ratio and it never overheated once. The car was driven daily down in Atlanta.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts