Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1967 Cougar XR-7/GT is missing its carb. I have an Edlebrock Streetmaster 390 manifold, U.S. Pat. No. 3744463 on it right now. 1st question should I try and find a correct factory carb to put back on the car and will it work with the manifold? 2nd if the stock carb will not work on the manifold and I go aftermarket any thoughts on the best one? All I need is the carb to be up and drivng, so I am going to spend the $300-$400 no matter what, but which direction should I go? As with all projects I would like a stock intake and correct carb someday, but my main goal is to get it driving for now.

·
11,000 Posts
The streetmaster is one of the best manifolds ever designed for the FE. In recent dyno tests on a mildly modified 428 it was the winner compared to 30 other designs. It was up something like 35 horsepower compared to the worst manifold which was the Edelbrock SP2P 390.

The stock 600 CFM Holley carburetor is a good choice, but a better choice would be a Holley 0-3310 which is better sized to work with a mildly modified 390.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Prepare to spend some $, but my first choice would be a factory 428CJ carb. Externally, they're identical to the 390GT carb. All linkages, lines, etc. hook up identically. But they are flow rated at 735cfm vs. 600. Back in the day, the Ford "Muscle Parts" book recommended this swap as one of the most effective mods for waking up a 390GT.
A 3310 will accomplish the same thing, performance wise, and likely cost you less. Which to use is really a question of how much of a premium you put on having a factory-looking carb with a Ford part # on there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts