Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to start using my stock air cleaner but, I have no idea what the conection on the drivers side is for. It looks like a small vaccuume canister of some sort? can anyone out there tell me what it's for and where it connects to.

I'm not using the stock carb (yet): by the way what carb was normal on a 69 390 it has no markings on it, or the stock manifold, will my after market carb a (carter) suffer if i put this stock air cleaner back on. Or should I put it on only for show time. Are there any other problems I might run into by using the old air cleaner???

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Scott,
That is a vacuum override valve on the drivers side of the air cleaner. It ties into your manifold wherever you have an outlet for it, or plug it up if you prefer. Do you have a vacuum tree on your thermostat housing? If you buy a set of vacuum hoses for your engine the diagram will show you how to route them. I know they put 600 Holley's on the '67 & '68' 390's but I think the '69's got the Autolite 4 bbl. I don't even know if your stock air cleaner will fit with a Carter. Does your stock air cleaner have a chrome lid? good luck.

Barry

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Barry, thanks I'm sure I can find a manifold vacuum to hook it to, I do have a vacuum tree on my housing also. Yes the lid is chrome with a star like pattern on it, it's even in great shape no need to recrome only thing missing is the factory 390 sticker ( on order) and the two screws that connect the horn to the cleaner. It fits on the carter but not real well its almost to big.
I also noticed there is a spring loaded flapper of some sort in the horn of the air cleaner how does this open up to allow air flow. Does this open up from the heat through the hose to the manifold?

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
Catz the vacuum for air cleaner door is not hooked to vac tree on frt of engine rather the vac tree on rear of engine.I find the Edelbrock carbs don't fit Fords real well and often have choke problems.The correct 69 390 Carb is a 600 cfm Autolite/motorcraft 4300 and can be got from many cars.I run the 429 ones on my cars.When engine starts vac door closes and when GO pedal is pushed into floor vac door opens allowing more air to carb.This air cleaner is same as some 428s w/O Ram air and is worth a fortune.Catz yaz

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ray, I've heard that this air cleaner is worth alot, more than onece. I even have the heat sheild for the exhaust manifold with it. Damn maybe I can sell the Air Cleaner for 14,900 and keep the cat:D What do ya think;)

I guess I'm lucky, the guy I bought the car from gave it to me along with the Stock manifold and carb. I'm going to rebulid the carb and put it back on soon.

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
Good idea on the carb.I think the value is held better with original parts.Have you had any serious offers.A Mustang is no Cougar let me tell ya.In fact the ceiling is lower and my head rubs on headliner so I'm selling my Mustangs and keepin my Catz.Catz ya Ray:cool:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, nothing serious a couple of tire kickers, I really like the car and if it never sells it won't bother me. What I like the most is next to no one else has one, My car is the only Eliminator I've seen at the last 5 car shows I've been to and, there has only been one Cougar at each show. All those chevy guys don't know what their missing. I'll have to post some new pics of the car I've done alot of work since the last ones. I had the rear fin painted to match the car, detailed the engine and engine bay, had the drivers seat redone, its really looking sharp. It should win a trophy next weekend in Eugene, OR I hope :cool:

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Ray what are the choke problems you keep mentioning on the eldebrock carbs? I have never heard of that before and I know of about a half a dozen of them personally and every one who has them loves them. Scott said he had a carter anyway ( a AFB I assume ) and there not exactly the same. I had a AFB one time and a aftermarket air cleaner fit it fine and I thought the ford air claener had the same size hole in it. I have a eldebrock on my cougar ( it was on the car when I bought it) and it has a plastic adapter-spacer and the stock air cleaner fits just fine. I did end up getting rid of the AFB as it would not flow enough fuel on one of my race cars to keep it from leaning out on top end. I kept raising jet sizes untill I ran it without any rear jets at all and it still leaned out on top end. I replaced it with a holley and ended my troubles untill the tech inspector caught it. I agree with you on keeping the stock carb and am keeping my eye out for one myself but I'm not in a hurry as the eldebrock runs fine.

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
edel AFB Carter etc

As I sit here and wonder exactly the choke prob it occurs to me that the hot air tube doesn't fit right for hot air feed.I'm a bit of a puritan so I like to see correct parts.I do upgrade some items like radial tyres unleaded fuel dura spark on occasion.I prefer a Holley over the Eddy even though its a good carb,on Dodges I have one on my boat and I agree its a great carb troublefree etc.Also note that the fuel line doesn't fit right and same for downshift linkages.Henry Ford eliminated his competition in 1903 by asking/telling Holley to stop making cars and he(Ford) would buy all his carbs from them instead.Smart guy got rid of competition and aquired a supplier all in one stroke.So my point is when I upgrade a carb I use a Holley 1850 series with a ford stamping on if available and it fits all linkages,choke etc and remains somewhat pure by my standards.Seems Edelbrock carbs are in our time what Holley was in our predessessors time.Use whatever pleases you but I allways recommend original or correct fitting parts for my cars and clients.I just don't like the appearance of a fuel line cut in half w/Filter and a piece of hose hooked to carb.Six of my seven 69s are stock and another 69 I have ,I will ,dare I say it ,Resto mod.There I said it.My mods will be converting from 69 to 70 all parts and will also use a custom color probly dark blue like 78 Cougars had.K? Catz ya

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Ok Ray, so there is no choke problems on the eldebrock. Now it is a good trouble free carb since I called you to the carpet to explain your comments. I do not claim to be a boat expert but I dont remember many dodge boat motors, but I assume thats what you have since you think the eldebrock carbs are best suited for them. There is no hot air tube to hook up as the choke on the eldebrock is electric. Ok the fuel line is not in the exact stock location, its an aftermarket carb, no one ever accused it of being a repo of the original equipment carb. Also if equipped with the proper ford kickdown linkage the kickdown lever fits and works just fine. Your puritan ideas and ways are fine and I agree with most of them most of the time but it is a disservice to the other members to try and press your ideals on everyone else by makeing a claim against a piece of good equipment just because it dosent fit your idea of what should be bolted to a cougar. I, like everyone else have opinions but I will not go out of my way to but something down unless I myself or someone I personally know has had bad luck with something. Personaly I like seeing a good inline filter hacked into a fuel line as it shows me someone else knows that the little oem filter isnt up to cutting the mustard. Thats how the aftermarket parts firms stay in business, selling better parts than the cost counting car manufacturs use.mm

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I run an Edlebrock 800 on my 440 and have the same trouble, its just to lean, I'm running the richest possible combo and its just barely working, I also upgraded to the biggest nossel they have. However I still think its better than a holley for my application in a 1 ton 4x4 for off road use. Once I tune it it stays tuned till I change something.

I'd like to revisit this Air cleaner again. Just how much is a complete stock set up worth. I've heard some crazy numbers anything from 300 to 1,000 bucks why are they so special???? Is it just because everybody threw them away and went after market??

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Sorry Scott, I didnt mean to lead your thread astray, but thats the second time Ray has thrown the eldebrock thing out from left field and I thought it was time he explained it.

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
MM As I was not aware I was doing any disservice to any one I'd like to point out that as there is no hot air feed and Cougars never had electric chokes and most don't know how to hook one up properly I might take offence at your view of me pressing my views.I only was lettin yaz all in on my experience as you are.I have no claim to AFB/Carter being a bad carb.Quite the contrary as I mentioned I have one on my boat.A 318 is a Dodge engine .Its called Chrysler Marine Co.A lot of my clients have choke problems here in North cause of electric choke and no hot air.Thank you for reminding me.BTW a better place for the hacked in fuel filter in my opinion is between the fuel line at apron and fuel pump or better yet at fuel tank itself.There is nothing wrong with the original little filter if your fuel is clean.So as I said before,"use whatever makes you happy" as I do with my puritan ways .Personally I like seeing correct parts and this view I doubt is being forced on anyone.Ray/Pacificatz

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Ray you cant justify yourself. If all fuel were clean no one would need a fuel filter now would they. Unfortuanatly us poor people in the USA must not have the choice of buying only clean fuel. You dont know whatyou get till its in the tank. No I dont really think your views are being forced on anyone as I think by now they are beginning to see through you. Personaly I am beginning to think that your puritan views are just a way to get people to buy your oem parts and services. Also you dont know what your talking about again as a fuel pump can always pump better than it can pull so again in the suction side is the worst place to put a filter even moreso 15 foot away from it. mm

1 - 14 of 14 Posts