Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Assuming your 351w is stock and you are running a single point system... what are you using for your base timing? (vacuum line disconnected)

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
That would be 6 degrees BTDC.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I realize that is factory spec... but is that what you are actually running? Thanks

·
Registered
913 Posts
You could start with 6, drive it, see how runs, then bump it up to 8, drive it, and so on. When you get to the point you have a little spark knock during a hard pull, back it down to the last setting and you are good to go. The gasoline you use plays a part in this also, you can bump the timing up more with Hi test than with regular.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
I am running 14 initial advance, mostly because with my Comp 262H cam it ran terribly at the stock 6 BTDC. At 14 I am still able to start well, the common wisdom is as much initial as will not cause bogging when trying to start and behave well under driving conditions as Carlton suggests.

I run 14 initial, 22 centrifugal and another 14 vacuum (Crane adjustable advance can). I carefully tailored each of these numbers to get timing that does not cause detonation.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts