Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey its me again remember car that will not start?here is the story again.i was driving the car home (68 XR-7) when it turned off by it self,i went to restart it when smoke came out of the engine compartment.i open the hood and saw a wire burning (melting).so the burning stop,the wire was from the battery to the msd ignition . so i replaced the wire and went to start no power as soon as i turned the key power went out.went to the battery moved the cables and power was restored again i went to turn the key power went away again.i think the burnt wire touch the neutral switch wire.Do you think it burnted the switch?
so i disconnected the wire from the igintion switch to the neutral switch and connected a wire from igintion switch to the neutral switch to bypass the switch same result power went out and i hear a noise coming from the ignition switch when the power goes out what does that mean? i stop working on it till tomorrow y then hopefully you guyswould have replyed.Also have another question when i did the compression test the reading was low.The advancement on the distributor is NOT connected to the the carb will this cause wrong readings???? please help guys:confused: :1zhelp: :cry:

·
Registered
246 Posts
Wish I could help, man.

Good luck to you on getting it fixed. o_O

·
Registered
123 Posts
Navarro - when you try to tacle multiple problems at once you are asking for nothing but problems. First remove the MSD and see of the car will run, if so, that's your problem. Is the starter cranking, what do you mean by the "power went out"? Break it down into subsystems. Make sure you have power from the coil first, if so, check the ignition swich and wiring. I'm just giving you general things here. It is hard to diagnose because you need to tell us EXACTLY what is happening.
Did you make sure the butterflies on the carb were open when you did the compression test? Removed the other plugs? If so, get a leakdown test AFTER you get the car running, it will give you a more accurate picture. good luck.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Calcat

Calcat-i will disconnect the msd and try to start it.
1).the stater doesnt crank.
2).power went out means from the dash no power anywhere.
3).there is power to the igintion switch.
4).when should i check if there is power to the coil when the key is turned.
5).on the igintion switch there are two post one that has "S" and the other "I" should there be power on one of those post,because there is not.

compression test.
1).i did one plug at a time. and i did not remove the other plugs.
2).the advancement on the distibutor to the carb is not connected
3). i did not check to see if the butterflies where open
hope this helps any more question let me know and i will tell you
you live in LA right where abouts maybe we can talk on the phone verse the computer? let me know i live in monrovia near pasadena. thanks Calcat for you time...:p:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts