Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, well I have the thing boiled down to an electrical problem. My car is a standard 68 cougar that I changed over all the wire harnesses to put in an XR-7 dash. The brand new engine I droped in runs awsome but when you press the brake peddal, turn on the blower motor or the headlights the engine dies. The only way I can fix the problem is when I put a jumper wire from the positive off the batery directly to the coil positive. I have rewired the firewall to engine feed wires, cleand every connector I can find, put in a new Ignition switch, new alt, starter silinoid, voltage regulator all to no evail. I have a petronix ignition , the alt is puting 13.7 volts into the battery. I have been told to replace the wire that goes from the coil to the ignition but this wire is nearly imposible to follow, and I dont want to tear up my new XR-7 harrness if Im not positive it will work.....
Some one help Please!!!!!

Jeff

·
Registered
123 Posts
If you're running the Petronix IgnitorII, it needs an honest 12v to run. If you are using your current ign to coil wire or another interior source, the current is droping when you use the headlights, etc. and this is killing the Petronix.
I run mine off the S side of the solenoid as it is switched to the ignition and have not had any problems. Hope this helps

1 - 2 of 2 Posts