Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched for awhile, assuming this has been discussed many times, but of course we all think our "issue" is just a little different.

I'm putting a new stereo in my 67 standard. The new unit is an Alpine, (nothing fancy), wires in the back are red for switch, yellow for battery and black for ground. Wiring from the old unit (am/fm which works) is a two wire connector (yellow w/ black on one side, and Red w/Blue on the other).

From my diagram it looks like the yellow/black is battery and the red/blue is switch so I hooked it up to the new stereo this way (hooked up the ground wire also). Got no lights or anything on the new stereo and eventually blew the fuse in the car.

On my test light, with the switch on, I have current on the yellow side and nothing on the red/blue side.

Am I doing something obviously stupid? Am I mistaken to think I could use the old radio's connector?

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
If you are trying to use the factory plug to wire in the stereo, I think you will be happier just making new connections....

I.E., Red and yellow to fuse box, black to chassis ground, speakers each wired accordingly, rather than trying to make ny kind of adapter work...

That's just my interpretation of what you're trying to accomplish...

·
Registered
60 Posts
I am working on the same project. I gave up on the original wiring & decided to hard wire everything. I am currently trying to figure out where the wires connect on the fuze box. I am looking forward to the responses on this post!

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
You can use the power lead for the stock radio for the switched power, and then the power lead for the cigarette lighter for 12volt constant (for the memory) lead.

Most people screw up and think that the two wires that go to the stock radio are power and ground, they are both hot, one is for the light behind the dial, and the other for the radio itself. No memory function on these old boxes. The radio is grounded through the chassis.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You nailed it Bill. That's exactly what I did, although it didn't take me too long to realize that the originals were not constant. I used the original connection for the switched power and ran direct to the solenoid with an in line fuse for the constant (didn't think about using the cig. lighter). I hid the wire well so it doesn't look tacky. End result, stereo works great and my son is happy!

My fuse box is pretty tempermental, so I tried to stay clear of it. Doers anyone have some advice on changing it out? I've cleaned and sanded the contacts, but it's still touchy from corrosion.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Im not sure if this is the right thread to post in but i fugured i give it a try.
I cant seem to get the original radio in my 67 to work. When i hook it up (blue to blue yellow to yellow and speakers accordingly) the light behind the dial turns on but the radio will not make any noise even through the 8-track player. Is there a way to test if the radio is still functional or is there something else that may be causing problems? Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
So how would you wire up the Sirius box? Two reds and two yellows.

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
I would refer you to the Sirius box instructin/installation manual.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Anyone know how to hook up the stereo to the E-brake? I installed a tv radio but it wont turn on (I can listen to music but cant watch a move)without it connected to the E-brake

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Those new TV or DVD in-dash units are set up so the won't play while the car is moving. Bypassing the brake switch (with your own switch) can be done a couple different ways, but keep in mind it could earn you a traffic violation.

That said, do an internet search, or search the forums here. That's how I found the answer to hooking mine up.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Just ground out that wire. Most new video head units just use the ground signal from the ebrake, but there are some that actually have gyros in them to make sure you aren't moving. Chances are a good ground will allow it to work all the time.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Just ground out that wire. Most new video head units just use the ground signal from the ebrake, but there are some that actually have gyros in them to make sure you aren't moving. Chances are a good ground will allow it to work all the time.

Im going to try that as soon as I get home.If it works my son can finaly watch some Yo Gabba Gabba while we cruze!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts