Mercury Cougar Owners banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This might be easy for someone out there, but, I'm not sure where to start. I got my rebuilt 302 back into my 1967 cougar. When I step on the brake it runs very rough and dies. Even when it's in park or neutral. I'm not sure whether it's vacuum or electrical related.
Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Car Tire Vehicle Hood Automotive tire

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the input. I disconnected the hose and it made a difference. Now stepping on the brake does not affect the engine performance. So does this mean I need to remove the booster and have it rebuilt? Not looking forward to that after reading the procedure in the manual.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Thank you for the input. I disconnected the hose and it made a difference. Now stepping on the brake does not affect the engine performance. So does this mean I need to remove the booster and have it rebuilt? Not looking forward to that after reading the procedure in the manual.
I didn’t think it was to bad when I did it on a 67 Mustang. I’d think it’s similar to Cougar.
I didn’t like the under dash part of it.

·
Super Moderator
11,035 Posts
It's a whole lot easier if you remove the steering column first.

·
Registered
69 XR7 Convertible w/ Cruise and AC
5 Posts
I’m doing this job now on my 69. I needed to replace the Master Cylinder too as it was the rear seal in that, that had failed and caused break fluid to leak into the booster causing the damage to the seals, causing the vacuum issues. A common occurrence. It’s not that bad a job, however I had two lines that I could not get out of the Master cylinder. I had to cut them and now I’m trying to re-flare fittings on them in the car. This is proving to be a real challenge. The $30 Harbor Freight flair tool is not sufficient, multiple failed attempts. I just ordered an Eastman tool for $70 we’ll see. I’ll also mention, availability on the boosters ebbs and flows so check around. WCCC took a couple weeks. All told, my cats been off the road since June. Bummer

·
Registered
5 Posts
That’s the one! My English sensibilities were somewhat offended needing to use 10mm and 17mm to operate a tool fitting 3/16” flairs but it worked like a champ 1st try so I’m willing to overlook it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
That’s the one! My English sensibilities were somewhat offended needing to use 10mm and 17mm to operate a tool fitting 3/16” flairs but it worked like a champ 1st try so I’m willing to overlook it.
An update. You’re going to want to bleed your brakes in the order passenger rear, drivers rear, passenger front, drivers front. Naturally when I got to driver front the bleeder snapped so now it looks like I’ll be changing the front calipers and rebleeding everything. She’s always got another surprise for me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts