Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I just replaced the power steering pump on my 69 XR7 and it started to groan on the first test drive so I figured there was a lot of air in it. I jacked up the front end and turned the steering wheel back and forth a bunch with the car shut off and the dip stick out. Then I added more power steering fluid to the proper level and repeated the process a few times until it read full on the dip stick.
When I lowered the car and started it the steering worked fine until I put the car in gear, then it was like the pump was not working at all and did not work until I put the car in neutral and revved the motor. Once the rpm's were up the pump worked again, but the same problem occurred once I put it back in gear. Could there still be air in the system? I ran the car out of fluid when the old pump failed. I'm also putting in power steering fluid instead of Type F trans fluid. Could that also be causing the problem?
Maybe it's the control valve under the car, but I'm sure some of you have dealt with this and can help me resolve my issues.
Thanks so much,
Joe:confused:

·
Registered
390 Posts
I don't think the power steering fluid vs ATF is going to be a problem, it sounds like you may still have an air pocket caught up in the power cylinder, I would try cracking loose the pressure hoses one at a time just to make sure, although what you already did usually would do it.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
X2 try to bleed things at the fittings - but also be sure to use type F if you have it, since the seals are designed for it. If that fails - you may need to look at the power valve rebuild maybe....

·
Registered
437 Posts
I just replaced the hydraulis cylinder ram on my 69 XR7. I sucked the resivior empty first and refilled with clean typy F fluid. In changing the cylinder and 2 hoses, the system pretty much drained itself. I refliied the reservior and a buddy just turned the wheel left and right and I kept refilling it until it was full. It works great. I would switch to type for starters.

Good luck

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone. I will bleed the pressure hoses and switch the fluid over to type F. If that does not do the trick then I will consider getting to the power control valve. There's no snow here, but it is still pretty cold out in the driveway.
Thanks again,
Joe

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've read that the PS pump should be bled with the engine OFF, by turning the wheel back and forth and topping off the reservoir. Otherwise the air pockets in the system can damage the pump and seals, which could be the problem with your pump. I suggest you empty and refill the system with Type F, bleed the system with the engine off, and see if that helps.
Jeff

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
There is a spool valve inside the control valve that could be sticking. Several mine had no assist in one direction. I took the valve apart and discovered that thewe were burrs on the edges of the spool (it's a cast piece with machined surfaces). I cleaned up the spool with emery paper, made sure it moved freely and reassembled and installed the valve. It now works perfectly.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I just repaced the control valve, hydraulis cylinder ram and hoses on my 69 XR7. After putting everything back together I filled the pump (type F trans fluid) until I got a full reading. With the car in the air I started it and turned the wheels back and fourth. Re-checked level with car running and added fluid until it was full. Continued to turn the wheels back and fourth till no more noise was heard. Shut off car put it on the ground and everything worked fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts