Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lookin to purchase an aftermarket steering wheel for my XR7. Lets see some pics of what you guys have.

·
Registered
117 Posts
1969MercuryCougarblue028.jpg In the process of looking for a stock wheel....

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
Probably not what most people like. But it goes well with the rest of the mods I did on my interior. It fits the look and is comfortable and the leather wrap matches the grain pattern on the seats.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Grant 1170 with custom horn button.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I could never stray away from a woodgrain steering wheel in a classic car.
IMG_0367.jpg

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
Grant Signature wood wheel (sorry no handy pic). This replaced the Grant leather wheel I bought in 1976 or so and have used in several cars. Still have it...

·
Registered
114 Posts
DSCF4558.jpg 66 mustang slightly altered

·
Registered
238 Posts
Here is a picture of the steering wheel and column that the prior owner had installed around 1980. The column is a tilt and from a later vintage car since the ignition switch has moved to the column. I like it but does anyone have any idea what this might have come off of?

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
Here is a picture of the steering wheel and column that the prior owner had installed around 1980. The column is a tilt and from a later vintage car since the ignition switch has moved to the column. I like it but does anyone have any idea what this might have come off of?
That wheel looks nice in there.

This style of steering wheel came with certain option packages in the 77-79 Thunderbird/Cougar or Granada/Monarch. Some of these came with black spokes. There was a version of this wheel used in early Fox-body Mustangs and Capris but it has no provisions for a horn. Unfortunately the horn button for these wheels is quite fragile and impossible to find. Also, these wheels do not play well with 67-69 Cougar steering columns. I found that the horn contacts and notch for turn signal canceling do not meet up properly.

It would be interesting to see what was necessary to install the later column in this car.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Coolgar, that is a sweet steering wheel! I'd love to know how you cut the letters, and what cat sticker you used!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Thanks Woodsnake ! I used the original center piece out of the flower pot in the old wheel , and cut the letters out at work. cougar 649.jpg

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
I would think there is a market for those, I know you could sell at least ONE (to me!) What about the cat emblem?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Thanks for the info yeloxr7. That would seem about right in that the interior was redone around 1980 to 1981. It would stand to reason that the owner at the time might have asked about installing a tilt steering and the mechanic was able to find this from a recent wreck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just purchased the Lecarra for my 1970 Mach I. I need to restore the rim blow that it came with. As soon as my 67 Cougar gets off the rotiserrie and completed the steering wheel will be going into it. I got it from Tony Branda but all the major mustang suppliers carry it.

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
I thinned the center emblem from a 69 rim blow pad and inserted it into one of the Ford "sport" steering wheels to use in my Cougar. Since it didn't work there, I used it in my 72 Montego wagon (Brady Bunch movie car) for a while.

If anyone is interested, I have a couple of the Ford "sport" wheels available for sale. Horn switch included. $100 each, plus shipping.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts