Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had a steering wheel refurbished? If so, I would be interested in your satisfaction with the result.
I have an XR7-G and the steering wheel is black on the underneath side and wood grain on the top. There is a 1/8 inch separation at the bottom of the wheel that goes all the way around. The gold trim between the woodgrain and the black section is pretty thoroughly cracked.
Autokrafters claims to be able to refurb this kind of damage but I would like some confidence building or other advice.
Thanks,
Tom

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
Tom
Did you ever get your wheel done?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, Ray. I had it donequite a while ago by AK. At that time I didn't know that you did them. The results were OK but not great. The color of the woodgrain top is wrong and the overall diameter is a little smaller than original. I think I will just leather wrap it but I also have a spare and might send it to you. How much would it cost?
Tom

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
Hi Tom shoot me some pix when you have time. I am interested to see how "off" it is. 68 wheels are $225 typically due to the tough inner band.
In your defence when you were looking to have yours done I don't think we were doing them yet.
I can not for some reason upload pix or I would upload pics of 68 wheels we have done.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will send some pictures but it will be a couple of weeks because I am traveling.
Tom

·
Registered
363 Posts
I had no idea people actually wanted those old steering wheels, oops! I had an XR7 one that I ...well never mind I don't have it anymore. It was in good shape accept for the color on the wheel.

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
BBC
Cougar steering wheels can fetch up to $500

1 - 7 of 7 Posts