Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to rebuild my control valve on my 68 cougar and once I looked closely at the job, decided to take it to someone else to do the work for me. Problem is, i had taken off the four lines to the control valve and the two lines to the cylinder. I put everything back together and when I started the car, the steering wheel just got stupid. I turned the wheel a little and the wheel took off on it's own. Real Freddie Kruger stuff. I decided that I had hooked something up wrong and checked everything. It all looked good and I tried starting the car again. No good. Then, I rebuilt the power steering cylinder per someones suggestion. No good. Then, I was told that I need to adjust the long rod on the cylinder. I tried that and it changed nothing. Now, a friend is telling me that there were check valves in some or all of the lines that I had disconnected from the control valve and that I must have lost the bb looking things that was in the lines. I am supposed to find the correct check valves for the lines.
Any help or suggestions?

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Just saw a post like this the other day, answer was two of the lines were crossed, actually they were not crossed but should have been. Double check the way you have the lines connected. Sounds like that is the problem.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Your lines are reversed. Keep your hands away from the steering wheel if you start the car before reconnecting the hoses properly.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had the same issue four weeks ago. We had crossed the lines on the control valve. THe photos in the manual were wrong. My thumb is still tender from the steering wheel.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
Would it help to say "join the club" ? :) We've all done this ... what *seems* correct is backwards and causes the crazy steering. Do as the guys above say...

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
Been there, done that. It was back about 1985 though. I hope you didn't have a hand in the way.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts