Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, time for ratios 101...
What is the difference between a 19:1 and a 16:1 steering box? Which is more responsive? Ford used both ratios with manual sterring but only the 16:1 with P/S.
Since I am going to replace mine, which should I go with to get the quicker steering?

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
The 16-1 is quicker. If your going with manual steering the 16-1 will require more effort to turn. How strong are you? If your going with power, the 16-1 would be my choice hands down.mm

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, MM.
I found it odd that they advertise the 16:1 like it's the greatest thing since sliced bread.
It's one of things that the more you think about it the more confused ya get! :p:

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Steering boxes

To further confuse the issue about steering box ratios they also had a 'variable' box. The first little bit of steering wheel movement resulted in very little tire deflection. The next bit of steering wheel movement resulted in a much greater tire deflection.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I dont think Ford ever had a variable ratio box in any of the "shock towered" unibodies did they?

I know I had a full sized mid 80's Old's that had it and it was the most dangerous SOB you ever tried to drive on snow and ice. If it started to skid you could not keep from overcorrecting it. What a POS setup that is.mm

·
Registered
669 Posts
Many moons ago I switched from power to manual steering. I installed hedders (crager hedders, I told you it was many moons ago). The longer power cylinder bracket flexed too much so i went to manual. Never went back. Love the 'real road' feel you get. Just put some muscle into it when trying to parrallel park though!

·
Registered
519 Posts
I found this to be helpful in determining which ratio my steering box has.

1. 19.9:1 ratio, 4 5/8 turns lock-to-lock, used on all low performance manual steering cars.

2. 16:1 ratio, 3 3/4 turns lock-to-lock, used on all cars with power steering and on manual steering high performance cars (Shelbys, Bosses, GTs, Mach 1s, etc),

Exerpted from http://www.mustangsandmore.com/ubb/DanJonesSteeringBoxRatios.html

1 - 7 of 7 Posts