Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently, my '68 has developed an odd habit. When you try and start it with the key, it cranks but won't fire. If you leave the key at "on" and go out and pop it over with a screwdriver on the solenoid, it takes right off. I changed the ignition switch and it didn't make any difference. Ideas?

·
Registered
3 Posts
with the key on check volts at the coil , should be 6-7 volts and turning the car over should be full voltage , this is done at the starter sol. on the inner fender on the pasanger side. when the engine turns over 12 volts goes the coil and to help it start better and soon as you let go of the key the power is reduced though the restorer wire under the dash and only giving the coil 6-7 volts. so i would start at the start sol. it will be the little (I) termanal on the sol. there must be 12 or more volts when the engine is being turned over . have someone turn the key for you. do not jump the sol. it will most likely work everytime . if that checks out trace that wire back and check for a break. hope that helps

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, I will do that. Thank You.

·
Registered
71 Posts
For a quick check, run jumper wire from bypass lug on solenoid to positive lead on coil. keep regular ignition lead on coil connected also.
This will check both wiring and solenoid. Turn the key. If car starts, you have bad bypass wire. If not, you probably have bad solenoid. If car starts, you can just make a permanent jumper from solenoid to coil, rather than looking for bad wire in the loom.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good idea. I do have an MSD, but I could go to the resistance wire. Should have the same effect. Thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts