Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

It started out as a carb/intake/cam install for my 351w. When the motor got put back together, I had a large oil leak. I pull the motor out and the cam plug got pushed out with the cam install. So while motor is out I replace the freeze plugs as well. I got the motor back in and wired everything back up as it was before.

Now when I turn the key the motor turns over but never starts. If u run a wire from the coil to the battery it fires right up.

Here is what I've done to try to find the problem
I replaced the ignitor 2 kit
I replaced the MSD blaster 2 coil because I had it tested and it was bad
I replaced the voltage regulator
I replaced the ignition switch

I'm out of ideas. All the grounds are good, everything is hooked up. I don't understand why it just doesn't start. It ran/started fine before I pulled it. What else should I look for. Anything will help. Thanks

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Sounds like you may be bypassing the tach wire and it's working OK ---- you may have a bad connection to the tach or it's bad. (I'm ass-u-ming you have one though! ;>))

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for replying badcat. I don't have a tach though.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Check the resistance wire that goes from the switch to the coil. I suspect it may be burned up. Best to check for continuity between the switch and coil, unless you can see it from under the dash.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Sounds like the right direction then -what coil did you use for replacement though? Not that I doubt the testing - but would it not run if you bypased it with the MSD? A low resistance coil is hard on the resistance wire (Accell for example), but the MSD should be OK, wondering what might have killed it (--- just thinking out loud) I think NAPA still sells the resistance wire or you can just use a Chrylser Ballast resistor and a length of regular 10 guage wire. Whatever you can find easiest to get the 1 ohm resistance you want.....

·
Registered
425 Posts

Is it possible you have the "S" and "I" wires crossed on the solenoid?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts