Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My car stopped starting while it was at the body shop. it starts right up when I jump the battery and ignition terminals on the starter relay, but won't crank when the key is turned to the start position. In fact I've been leaving my Summit remote starter hooked up to the relay so I have a starter button in the car.

The ignition switch is new and I tested it in all positions per the manual before I installed it. I also replaced the ignition switch pigtail with the service bulleting replacement part.

I have a 68 with the tilt column and a c4 trans. There is a yellow/black wire by the vacuum motor for the tilt under the dash that is disconnected. I need to see where it goes, I'm thinking that it's not the problem. I want to test the neutral safety switch but I'm a bit confused by the manual. I describes running a jumper wire from the battery terminal of the starter relay to the relay side of the neutral start switch. Do I have to get to the side of the trans where the switch is mounted to make this jumper connection? It seems to me that it would be easier to test the continuity between the red/blue wires at the plug by the master cylinder as I go through the gears and just see if the switch is working? What am I missing?

·
Registered
439 Posts
I have a 68 390 that the neutral safety switch does not work all the time. I have to move the shifter back and forth to get it to work. As far as testing it I am not sure.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like yours may be out of adjustment. There is a procedure outlined in the manual the uses a #43 drill as a gauge pin to line the switch up properly.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've decided that the procedure in the manual must mean for one to place the jumper wire right on the switch and I don't feel like lifting the car and getting under it today. I unplugged the harness feed to the switch and checked for continuity between the red/blue wires at the plug in both park and neutral and it seems the switch isn't closing - no continuity.

This would mean the switch either went out of adjustment or failed, wouldn't it?

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
Just like my pickup. Lift up on the gear selector and give it crank.

·
Registered
5 Posts
tilt away steering has a safety switch to if i remember right two red/blue stripe wires mine was bad may have to bypass it or fork out a couple bills

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
^^Good thought there. Rick, did you check the continuity of the switch itself? I think it's normally closed in park and neutral, and open in any other gear. If not then it needs adjusted or replaced. (same check on the tilt away too - don't know if it's adjustable??)

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I checked the continuity of the switch at the plug at the end of the switches harness that's located by the master cylinder at the firewall. The neutral switch doesn't seem to close in any gear. I aleady bought the switch on ebay (Motorcraft) and the #43 drill on Amazon. I had suspected something might be wrong with the tilt away but your comment makes me think...

After buying the NSS on ebay, I realized that if if the NSS was bad and I connected a jumper between the two red/blue wires on the harness side of the plug then the car would start (in any gear!). The same should be true of the red/blue wires going to the tilt away. I'm hoping it's the neutral switch, it seems bad, should be an easy fix and the part was easy to find. I hate cascading failures worse than books.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just like my pickup. Lift up on the gear selector and give it crank.
Is your truck column shifted? If so, do you know if your neutral safety switch is on the side of the trans or on the column with the shifter linkage? In '68, which is the service manual I have to refer to, the neutral switch for Montego, Falcon, and Fairlane (for example) was on the column shifter or on the console shifter. For Mustang and Cougar it's mounted where the shifter linkage mounts to the transmission. I don't think manipulating the shifter (other than simply shifting gears) will affect the postition of the switch on my Cougar.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Mines been bypassed for years mostly just to lazy to figure out the pinout on the AOD's NSS - I really need to get that done for safety and so I can go racing now and then....one of those I'll get to it later things!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts