Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I'm attempting to get an electronic ignition system working on my '67 Cougar and I seem to have a new problem that just snuck in today. After putting all the pieces back together, I was trying to start the car and after the third or fourth attempt at cranking the engine, the starter stuck on. I took the key out but it kept turning over. I pulled the negative battery cable to make it stop. This led to an extremely loud sound like a shotgun and a lot of smoke. I presume the noise and smoke came from a major arc from all the power the starter was pulling. I rehooked the cable and tried starting the car again. After a few attempts the starter stuck on again. I guess the solenoid has probably gone bad, but I tend to analyze everything to death. Does this indicate a bad solenoid? Or could it be that somehow the wiring has gotten messed up in such a way that the power from the ignition terminal on the solenoid is feeding the start terminal to keep the solenoid engaged? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
I'd replace the solenoid. Mine did this once, and that's what it was for me anyway...

Also, if you're running a aftermarket one-wire alternator, you need to hook up the S-terminal from the one-wire with a in-line diode...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts