Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This thing has been apart way too long and I don't have a wiring diagram for my 68 XR-7. I know that the "convenience" system wiring goes to the starter side of the solenoid along with the cable to the starter. Can someone please tell me what color this wire is? Also, are there any other wires besides the starter cable that go to this side of the solenoid and what color(s) are those? Thanks in advance for any responses.

Mark

·
11,000 Posts

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks as always Royce for the quick and accurate response. I wasn't sure if the 67-68 were the same.

Mark

·
11,000 Posts
Oops! Just double checked on my cars. I got this backwards, the correct answer would be the low fuel terminal, on the start cable side, has the yellow molded terminal.

The alternator wire has the black molded ring terminal.

Hope this was before you hooked up power!

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Royce, I really appreciate your follow-up. As a matter of fact, I no longer had the terminal ends on the wires anymore. It's a long story but I moved all of the connections to a terminal "junction block" mounted separate from the battery side of the solenoid. I shortened all the wires going there to clean up the installation. I also eliminated the voltage regulator and went with a powermaster alternator and built in regulator. As a result, the red wire with the black terminal end was no longer in the harness. But, I traced back the red wire I still had which was previously hooked to the battery as well and found it to be the one for the low fuel sender. I moved that one to the starter side of the solenoid. No damage was done since I still don't have the battery installed. But thanks again for your info both last week and today. I caused me to double check my connections and I also learned a little something besides.

Mark

1 - 5 of 5 Posts