Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, about half the time I start my car, the starter keeps spinning after I release the key. I have to turn the key back to get it quit engaging the starter. Its very nerve wracking hearing that ring gear and starter gear grind, so I want it fixed now!

Is this likely the electrical part of the ignition switch?

thanks!

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
What do you mean by "turn the key back"? Do you have to turn it OFF or turn it to ON because it doesn't go back from START to ON by itself? If the latter, I would guess the electrical part of the switch.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
bad switch or selenoid

Don

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it doesn't go back from START to ON by itself
That sounds right, when the motor starts and you let go of the key, the starter remains engaged. I have to turn the key back almost to the off position to get the starter to quit spinning.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Consensus so far sounds like a switch. The solenoid is new, so I'm guessing its not that. I'll order a new switch and see how that works.

Actually, I'm making a junk yard run tomorrow, maybe I'll rip a switch out of another Cougar and try that. If I can get it cheap enough I'll just use it to verify that its the switch and then keep it as a spare.

Thanks guys. Back to work, gotta get busy on the leaf springs.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is the starter motor still trying to turn the engine over, or is the bendix sticking?
I think its the starter motor still trying to turn the engine over, because I can usually stop it by turning the key back to just before the off position.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Yep. Sounds like the ignition switch itself.

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
I am with Jim.
It is the starter bendix sticking (the gear that drives the flexplate or flywheel gear)

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
xr7gt said:
I am with Jim.
It is the starter bendix sticking (the gear that drives the flexplate or flywheel gear)
Yep and I think you are right. I bought a used ignition switch and installed it. It made no difference. And the one I took out looked brand new, it wasn't even dirty.

So I've tried a second ignition switch and a second solenoid...

I guess all that is left is the starter. Guess what I'm doing Saturday morning? That's right laying on my back underneath the car swapping in a new starter. The job is complicated by the fact that the previous owner stripped the threads in the tranny housing but I think I've got that worked around.

Thanks guys!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts