Mercury Cougar Owners banner

Starter Help!

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  johnboy 
#1 ·
I would like to know what the difference is between a straight drive and a automatic starter. I have heard that the nose is different. What would that be?

#2 ·
"Straight drive" meaning manual transmission? The difference is that the length of the nose which goes into the bellhousing is longer on the MT (and so the part behind the flange that does not go into the bell is shorter). The overall length of the (entire) nose is the same but the flange is located differently (another way of looking at what I described).

I ordered a nice, lifetime guaranteed MT one from Advance and turned in a AT core. Have another (was my only) MT one as a spare.

Note that all of the above applies to small block stuff (assume that is your interest), cannot speak to FE or Lima starters.

Regards,

Bob

#3 ·
Thanks Bob, I have several starters lying about, and one of them is as you described. I am about ready to install the Boss engine in the school bus and want to use the right starter. CW

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.