Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have access to a parts book for 70 cougar. I want to replace my cable from solenoid to starter and wanted to know what gauge cable came originally. I want to try to find and upgrade the cable to a higher gauge.

·
11,000 Posts
Original is 4 AWG.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Yes, originally 4ga for big blocks, and 6ga for small blocks. How do I know this? My wife's all-original, never-restored 70 Mach was gigged for having big block cables and battery shroud when at a national Mustang Club of America show. Then I had to convince the judges that her car came with those cables (and group 27 battery). It was an option!!! I showed them the build sheet!

All that said, I just got a set of 1ga cables for PartsCat/RattyCat at NAPA yesterday. The two from the battery were premade, and I'll have to make up the solenoid-to-starter 1ga cable from bulk cable and solder-on lugs. The big cables don't cost all that much extra and will give you lower resistance to cranking. AlphaCat has 0ga cables. I want all the cranking power I can get to turn that bad boy 11.4-to-1 compression motor!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I replaced the cable tonight and bought a 4 gauge cable that appears to be larger than the one it currently have and believe to be the original, so that bears out what you recommended. Thanks for your input. I tried two different auto parts stores and the largest they had was 4 gauge.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
MILO.... Your amazing!!!

Don

1 - 6 of 6 Posts