Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kinda scary and fun, Sure adds up quick though. Front bearings, rear bearings, caliper rebuild kits, gaskets, spring isolaters, ordered everything I need to completely redo the front and rear suspensions! Now I can get to know the UPS driver better. By the time I get all the parts delivered, axle housing and other parts painted car should be done at the paint shop. Then I can put the suspension all back together and at least it will be on it's own wheels again. I do need to pick up a spring compressor. Now with the engine out I will need one that is external to get them down so I can install shocks. Any suggestions on what I should get? Without the weight of the engine the springs won't go down enough to allow the shocks to fit. Also what color were the original shocks? and who might carry them today?

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Harvey, IIRC the shocks were black. Also, if you want correct ones,you'll have to find NOS. John

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
I think you should go with the internal compressor and wait to put the shocks in until the engine/trans is back in. The external ones are more dangerous in my educated opinion.

And LOL about the UPS guy. I have become somewhat friendly with "Harry", my UPS driver, he quips that he has brought me nearly my whole car over the nearly 7 years it took to turn her into the beauty she now is. When he'd show up toward the end of the resto, I would make him come into the garage to see what was coming together. Although I don't think he is a car guy, I think he was impressed by the result. I know I am/was and will show/tell and annoy just about anyone I can get to pay attention!

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bob I am real impressed with your car too. Beautiful car!!! In the end I don't rekon my will be as showy just do to the color however It will be factory and to me that is really cool. A classy color too that reminds me more of people wearing suits than me in my jeans. Course in my last cougar I think I wore corduries as often as jeans!! I agree an internal spring compressor would make me feel better and I don't see any need to put them on just sitting in the barn.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
you might cosider aftermarket shocks and paint them as req'd--there has been alot of advancements in that area---the internal compressor works best---get one with a roller thrust bearing---after setting the hooks on the spring , put a couple of hose clamps around the sping to keep the compressor from walking around the coils
doctordesoto

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good tip on the hose clamps! I am scared of coil springs. Any recomendations on brands or numbers for the shocks? The car is a 390 car with air?

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
I bought this spring compressor. I think its the safest. http://dazed.home.bresnan.net/spring . It works a little differently. It bolts to the spring perch in place of the shock. I use a 15/16 Gear Wrench to make it easier. If you get one, make sure to lube the threads first. I made a longer deep well socket to hook it up to an impact wrench. I am trying that for the first time tomorrow.

·
Registered
200 Posts
here's a couple tips..... http://www.fastbackmustang.com/Projects/CoilSpringInstall.aspx

I like the idea of using bicycle tire tubes as sleeves to protect the paint of the spring....and x's two on putting some hose clamps to keep it from walking around...here's a picture of my hunk of junk and it walked a bit...of course I just mocked it up like this for a minute than took it out right away since I got no actual weight on the front suspension to date...I had to add a bunch of washers in order to clear the spring perch

·
Registered
146 Posts
There's nothing like getting a package delivered with parts for one of your projects. It's like Chistmas morning every time to me! My wife has come to expect Fed Ex or UPS to stop if they are on are street! I bought an OTC spring compressor that is the internal type. Have used 'homemade' ones but got the _ _it scared out of me when one failed and a spring went whizzing by. My life is worth the couple of hundred dollars for a quality made compressor.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
I bought the one you can rent from 'autozone'...Inexpensive, and seems to work well. I had one fail also, scared to crap out of me too!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts