Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So far you guys saw the car a while back as being complete and for sale. Well the new owner has my local shops doing the work and they are working nicely on it. Its very rare, hadnt been on the road since 1991. So not running just been sitting, we have plans to rebuild everything possible,redo most everything we can. We found a few things that were just a nickel size hole did turn into some cottage cheese,but its just a floor pan,so far, some door bushings,some rubber plugs.Doing a new top,motor,tranny,and rear end on the car along with all new disc brakes and P1030495.jpg rims and tires. Its going to be a nice show car for my buddy when its done. Glad someone is putting the time and funds into making this rare car come al P1030494.jpg ive again. I just hate I have to watch it drive off when its done. Any suggestions in doing anything while its a part please add just in case we miss it. P1030188.jpg My guy here did make a couple panels to fill in the bottom quarter,and will have to use a little filler on it,but its pretty dang close.
For information on the engine compartment ..Anybody tell me what color should the block be painted,the valve covers,intake and all brackets to have it look original

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
P1030263.jpg P1030261.jpg I guess, I should of had some of the before pictures first. I think there has only been one coat of paint on top of this car. We have only found a few things wrong with the car that didnt show up but really the car is in pretty good shape. I guess the people that painted this car was like me a non body paint guy, they did a lousy job,but I guess you cant go back and tell the guy he did a lousy paint job 20 years later. P1030498.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We need to know whats a good size tire combo and rim set up for this out there.We want to go newer. Any suggestions or pictures of what will work, and wont rub. Thanks
disc brakes on front, drum on back.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Go big out back - the Cougar can easily take a 335 series tire with the proper rim backspace. I ran 15X8 styled steels (custom made by Stockton wheel) in the back of my 69, and ran a 4.5" backspace. With a 245/50/15 tire, looked pretty good IMO. Up front, 15X7 with a 4.25" backspace provided ample caliper clearance and no tire rub. See the picture....(not me in the pic, that's the Intercity driver when we sold the car)
DSCN0138.JPG

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts