Mercury Cougar Owners banner

21 - 40 of 350 Posts

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Also, received my Marti Report today!
Seems like alot of the options were removed from the car for some reason...
Like air-con, deluxe belts w/ warning lights, tinted glass and AM-radio.

If you don't mind me asking, what is the "Decor Group" option?
Decor group included deluxe wheel covers, curb molding, rim-blow steering wheel, custom grade seat, door and quarter trim, door courtesy lights, rear seat armrests, and windshield pillar and roof rail pads (pads NA on convertible).

·
Administrator
13,577 Posts
Decor group included deluxe wheel covers, curb molding, rim-blow steering wheel, custom grade seat, door and quarter trim, door courtesy lights, rear seat armrests, and windshield pillar and roof rail pads (pads NA on convertible).
Dave,

Two questions if I may. What are "curb moldings"? Also, regarding the windshield pillar and roof rail pads (specifically the pillar pads), is this the difference between the soft foam with vinyl and the plastic A pillar pads/moldings? I have seen both (and have both in my junk) and always wondered why the difference. I'd love to find a home for both sets (black) as well!

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Dave,

Two questions if I may. What are "curb moldings"? Also, regarding the windshield pillar and roof rail pads (specifically the pillar pads), is this the difference between the soft foam with vinyl and the plastic A pillar pads/moldings? I have seen both (and have both in my junk) and always wondered why the difference. I'd love to find a home for both sets (black) as well!
Curb moldings = rocker moldings
Yes

·
Registered
7,551 Posts
There should be a place somewhere in your air shock lines, to release or add air, like airing up a tire...
Holley numbers here:
http://www.holley.com/TechService/ListNumber.asp

I think the gold colored washer thingy probably also was used somewhere with the LPG system. It looks like a directional, locating washer of some sort...

·
Administrator
13,577 Posts
There should be a place somewhere in your air shock lines, to release or add air, like airing up a tire...
Holley numbers here:
http://www.holley.com/TechService/ListNumber.asp

I think the gold colored washer thingy probably also was used somewhere with the LPG system. It looks like a directional, locating washer of some sort...
On the Holley numbers thing, looks like the PO machined the top of the air horn off and so the list number is not going to be present.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
Dave, thx for the info!

roughly $ 13,750 US Dollars .....
It was one of the cheapest ones i could find in my country, dunno if that's alot for US standards?

Also removed the rest of leftover parts from the LPG installation and fixed some bad wiring in the meantime.

Left this part on the car, since i think it is part of the Air-con?

Also started on some rust repairs after removing one of the fenders

Seems like the inner wings have the correct vin on them, will need some welding though as you can see on the left

·
Registered
7,551 Posts
I posted the Holley link, for future reference for the OP...

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
The piece pictured on the driver's side inner fender apron is not part of the original factory air conditioning system and I have no idea what it would be for. It's not factory though.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
regarding the windshield pillar and roof rail pads (specifically the pillar pads), is this the difference between the soft foam with vinyl and the plastic A pillar pads/moldings? I have seen both (and have both in my junk) and always wondered why the difference. I'd love to find a home for both sets (black) as well!
I know that Dave has answered your question here but just to add a little more information for everyone. The hard plastic windshield pillar covers were used on the standard Cougars. The padded vinyl style were used on standard Cougars with the Decor interior option and on the XR-7s. This is only for the hardtops. All convertibles received a hard plastic cover, which is different from the hardtop version.

They are quite sellable. I think a fair price would be in the $30-60 a pair range, condition depending. The upper tabs and the lower mounting screw hole are often broken on the hard plastic style. They generally will need to be repainted or redyed as they fade from the sun. List them for sale or do an auction on the Cougarswapmeet site.

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
The piece pictured on the driver's side inner fender apron is not part of the original factory air conditioning system and I have no idea what it would be for. It's not factory though.

I'll second this. With the hose nipple on the end I wounder if this might not have been a part of the LP or NG system?

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95

·
Administrator
13,577 Posts
I'll second this. With the hose nipple on the end I wounder if this might not have been a part of the LP or NG system?

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95
LPG solenoid I was figuring.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Ok, guess i'll remove that too then :)

Found out that my horn keeps blowing when connected (was not connected when i bought it) seems like that would probably the horn switch from the rim blow steering wheel i think, damn those are expensive to replace ($120)!
Or can these be fixed?

Started de-rusting the fender and inner fender (requires alot of elbow grease), then first coat of anti-rust primer. It's a clearcoat, but turns dark purple when it has converted leftover rust particles :)

Then a layer or 2 of stonechip

Oh, and maybe some of you are wondering why i'm not redo-ing the entire surface (exept for financial reasons) if i can't get it off (easily), i'm leaving it on there :)

·
Administrator
13,577 Posts
...Oh, and maybe some of you are wondering why i'm not redo-ing the entire surface (exept for financial reasons) if i can't get it off (easily), i'm leaving it on there :)
I did the same thing, scrubbed it well and then went over the everything with 3m Body Shutz undercoating, which is great stuff (but not cheap) BTW.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Finished off the inner wing with some tar along the seams, because they are the most delicate places.

Also done the fender itself with stonechip

Found out the wheelarches on the back are the worst part on the car, this is what i found after removing a decent amount of bondo :(

Guess i'll have a little more welding to do :)

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Awe .....that's nothing! a mere scratch at worst. In Iowa we call that "patina" ;>P

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Good looking car. Sounds like you have it all under way. The carb looks like an 1850 600cfm
That is the most common.

As for getting it running better, go after vacuum leaks first. Disconnect all vacuum hoses and properly plug the holes. These motors and the headlights are always a sore spot for vacuum leaks. In one pic I think I see a hose on the carb with a screw in the end to plug a vacuum port. That is the kind of thing the previous owner did in a hurry and is easy to fix.

Keep the pics and progress coming.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I'm going to change intake and carb, but i learned a vacuumgauge is definatly the thing to have :) Will surely use it.

First will check if the electronic dist is working fully on mechanical advance so i'll check the total ignition timing. Otherwise i'll hook up the vacuum again and maby change the mechanical advance.

Btw, if it would have a good total advance timing without vacuum, should i leave it at that or switch to vacuum?

21 - 40 of 350 Posts