Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 350 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got some time to post some photos of the car i went to get :)

This is my first american car, have one 1981 Ford Capri MKIII wich i restored a few years back.

I'll be posting some photos of the project whenever i can, so you guys can follow and help me on my progress :)

Few problems with the car, drove it 160km so i kinda know what's wrong with it.
2 of the major problems are play in the steering and problems with fuel/air/ignition wich makes the car pretty bad on accelleration and startup.

Plans for the car for now are not total resto, just making it a good driver.

Some shots after i got home with it:

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I also started taking it apart a little to find out what i'm dealing with.
I've noticed some bad welds and even some polyester on the car, but nothing major (structural) wrong there.

This is what i saw when i removed the lid from the aircleaner:

Oh and btw, the owner before me kinda neglected to take care of it for 10 years, and the things he did do weren't all that great lol (plywood on the air cleaner? i mean, c'mon!)

Took everything of and ended up with an UFO? Anyone know what would be the befefit of this thing on the car? I don't have any idea what it is, although the manual choke was hooked up to it, but pulling it didn't make any change in the engine while running.

So 3 things that defenitly aren't stock on this engine:

1) Intake manifold is a streetmaster from Edelbrock (they prolly don't make these anymore?)

2) Mallory electronic ignition distributor (vacuum advance doesn't seem to be hooked up?)

3) Holley 4-barrel carb, anyone know what cfm this one is or how i can find out?

Also i noticed something strange on the throttle linkage, where the hell is the ford kickdown lever from the fmx transmission???

And i also found this lying around in the engine bay:

Anyone know what this is? (Looks pretty important lol)

I'll keep you guys posted on my progress, thx in advance for aswering some of my questions :)

Greetings

·
Administrator
13,577 Posts
The UFO is part of a LPG (or NG) fuel system I'm betting.

Otherwise, congrats on the new acquisition!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, would make sence since the previous owner said there was lpg on it at some point, makes me wonder what else i'm going to find leftover from the lpg...

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Ok, would make sence since the previous owner said there was lpg on it at some point, makes me wonder what else i'm going to find leftover from the lpg...
OK now you got me wondering ...... Where the heck did they mount the LPG tank??????

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
3) Holley 4-barrel carb, anyone know what cfm this one is or how i can find out?
Holley put numbers on their carbs to ID them with. On the front of the area exposed after you removed the UFO thing is where to look. It will be stamped right into the metal. It will have LIST and some numbers. If it is a factory Ford carb it will have Ford part numbers on it. Once you find the numbers post them here and someone will be able to decode it for you.

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95

·
Administrator
13,577 Posts
Holley put numbers on their carbs to ID them with. On the front of the area exposed after you removed the UFO thing is where to look. It will be stamped right into the metal. It will have LIST and some numbers. If it is a factory Ford carb it will have Ford part numbers on it. Once you find the numbers post them here and someone will be able to decode it for you.

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95
I'd be willing to bet it is an aftermarket Holley.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
No, that thing in the trunk is actually an air compressor to pump up the rear aftermarket shocks lol

I'll look into those numbers on the holley carb, anyone can help me with my other questions? :)

EDIT: found those holley numbers, it's like this on the front: 3.572.387 3.343.820 892.623

·
Registered
7,551 Posts
From here it looks like a 600 Holley.
I don't understand why people think that removing the air horn and choke plate will make a street car run better! Don't you think Holley probably put some time and effort into putting out a quality product to begin with??
I think your kick down rod is missing completely.. Those can be replaced, for not a ton of money. I find that I enjoy driving a car with a well working kickdown much more than when I have to manually downshift all the time....But I still manually downshift all the time anyway!

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Your Holley "list" numbers would have been on the air horn of the carb ... but I appears to me that was cut off for the LPG add on along with the choke ..... maybe the were stamped low enough that they are still there but again if you want/need a choke on it your going to need a new carb ........... so what does a car like this cost over there ? ?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Looks fairly neat, body wise. Nice pick up...
When I took my air cleaner lid off, I didn't even have an air cleaner !

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, i paid 10K euro's for it over here, thought that was a good deal (i hope :D )
Gonna buy a new carb and intake since both are really old and appearantly the carb won't work well even if I rebuild it

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So is this where the kickdown rod should be connected to?

Also, still have no idea what this is :D

·
Administrator
13,577 Posts
So is this where the kickdown rod should be connected to?

Also, still have no idea what this is :D

Yes to the first, no idea either on the second.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Looks like a pretty clean one you got - whats all the switches in the center console. CAREFUL now - you don't wan't to find the ejection seat! ;>P That sure does look like an aftermarket 600 Holley they butchered up the airhorn on. They must have run into hood clearance problems withthe Holley and the LP kit I would guess. Hopefully you could source a different carb locally - but that may be a challenge. To bad you don't live closer - I have one in the garage that needs worked on - I started to rebuild it as a spare but it was givving me grief getting the meter blocks seperated (A common issue on original gaskets) I gave up trying. I think you could just make a necklace out of that keyhole looking washer...?

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Yeah, that centerconsole is something the previous owner made, it controls interior lights, inflates rear air shocks and also control the LPG when it was in the car. (None of it works atm though)

Question, if you inflate air shocks, how do you deflate them?

Another reason the electrics in this car are a mess lol, pulled out a cable yesterday wich had (i kid you not) 6 connectors in 2 meters of wire.

Also, received my Marti Report today!
Seems like alot of the options were removed from the car for some reason...
Like air-con, deluxe belts w/ warning lights, tinted glass and AM-radio.

If you don't mind me asking, what is the "Decor Group" option?
And the FMX Merc-O-Matic is the normal fmx gearbox, right?

1 - 20 of 350 Posts