Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seem to remember that someone used the mustang pad and plate on their leafs and this eliminated some of the lowering effect the original pads give our cats. If this is true it looks like it should raise the rear end about .75" with this setup. has anyone actually done this and could you share what it did to the ride height.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Leaf spring isolator delete

I deleted the rear leaf spring isolators on AlphaCat and went with the Mustang-style setup. I cannot attest to the lowering effect that it caused since I replaced my rear springs at the same time. My springs were broken at the center binder bolt/locator.

One thing you will have to do is to keep the wedge plate since you want to keep your rear axle at the proper pinion angle. I'm not up on the earlier Cats, so I'm not 100% certain about them, but i do know the 71-73s used a wedge.

Milo
Cougrrcj

·
Registered
14 Posts
I also deleted the rear spring isolators and replaced with the Mustang spring plate. As you expected, the ride height is raised about 0.75 inch. Because I was looking to lower the rear to match the lowered front end (600 spring + negative wedge kit = about 2 inches) I used 2 inch lowering block between the spring and plate. The springs are from TMC. Go to the 67 photo gallery and look in 67 Standard w/modifications. I uploaded a pic of the rear set-up.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts