Mercury Cougar Owners banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
He died either last yer or the year before.

I agree, great source for parts......

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for refreshing my memory...I remember now that Mr. Johnson had passed.

But...didn't his son take over the business? Or did they just shut down shop?

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
Stang it went insolvent after the father died rumor was family infighting or something like that so they sold out. hated seeing them go

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Yes, I hated to see them go out to, they screwed me out of some money!! Not much like $20, so I just said heck with it they must need it more than I did. I'm sure it wasnt on purpose, probably just slipped through the cracks. mm

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
No we are loosing TCCN not running the risk of. someone will have to fill the void since it looks like steve and gary are seroius. i hope that we can change their minds

·
Registered
102 Posts
Setting the record straight.

I'm sorry folks, but I just read something in this thread that thoroughly ticked me off and I have to respond. Ron Johnson was a close personal friend of mine, as is his widow, Lynn. In fact, I was the guy who climbed up the ladder with a razor blade and scraped the last remnants of the Stang-it sign off the shop window so Lynn and her daughter wouldn't have face that job.

So, I was there, and I can tell you for a fact that there wasn't any "family infighting" involved. Repeating a rumor like that contributes nothing to this thread and is an insult to both Ron's memory and to his family. If you don't know the facts, keep your freaking mouth shut!

And to Mark, if you'll send me your mailing address by e-mail ([email protected]), I'll send you my personal check to cover your loss. Lynn wouldn't want it any other way.

Keep on Cattin'!

Steve

·
Registered
266 Posts
Steve, I sure nobody was trying to insult, harm or offend anybody in anyway. Those comments didn't seem to be maliciouse to me. It's good to hear that you were there to help them out in their time of need. There is no doubt in my mind that any one of the members here would have done the same. Don't go off the deep end so quick. We're all supposed to friends....right?

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Thanks for the offer Steve, I wasnt meaning to sound like I was ragging about it. I understood the situation and am not worried about restitution. If I was I would have tried to do something long ago if I thought someone was inteninaly trying to beat me out of a nickle. I said it wasnt much and I'm not worried about it and said I'm sure it was a mistake. Looking back the needing it more than I did comment didnt come out like I meant to say it. I meant that with the problems with the businness they probably DID need it more than I did.

I dont blame you for coming out and sticking up for a friend if somethings not right. I would do the same thing. mm

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Theyyyy will be missed:(

What did they do with all the stock?:confused:

Don

·
Registered
102 Posts
Mark, I didn't think you were ragging about the twenty bucks. I understood the point you were trying to make and it was a good one. I made the offer only because I know, even without asking her, that Lynn would want the matter cleared up.

I've been thinking about this thread and I suspect there are quite a few folks who are new to the hobby who never met Ron and don't know anything about him. With that in mind, I'd like to say a couple of things about him.

Since TCCN is in the news lately, I would like to point out that Ron Johnson was the one who came up with the basic idea for The Cougar Pages web site that started it all. Ron was also the one who encouraged me to, in his words, "Go for it."

Beyond that, many of the major innovations at TCCN were prompted by Ron's suggestions, like the Club in a Box feature that has helped five new regional Cougar clubs get started, and the annual TCCN Vendor Survey.

But Ron's contributions to our hobby go much farther back than TCCN. He was heavily involved in the national Cougar club when it was starting out and his contributions to regional clubs, including the one he started (The Stray Cats) go well beyond the level of "good business." More than that, Ron never hesitated to answer a technical question or send a customer to a competitor if he didn't have the part they needed.

People tell me I've done a lot for the classic Cougar community, but I could never hope to do for our hobby what Ron did. And I'll tell you something else. When Gary and I decided it was time to close up TCCN, we both had the same thought at almost the same time: What would Ron say?

Vfret, yes, we're all supposed to be friends here, but I don't think friends spread rumors about each other. Friends stand up for each other and I can't count the number of times Ron Johnson stood up for me. So, when someone says something that is blatently untrue about Ron--something that didn't need to be said for any reason--it is a wrong that must be righted. To put it another way, mess with a friend of mine, and you're messing with me. Do you have any friends like that, Vfret?

Keep on Cattin'!

Steve

·
Registered
266 Posts
Everybody has friends like that, Steve.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
HERE... HERE:D

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
Sorry about the family infighting coment steve but that was the last word i had recieved was a posswible cause not that it was the cause. my appologies if i hurt anyones feelings it was not my intent. thanks for correcting my error.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.