Mercury Cougar Owners banner

Stang-It Headlight Vacuum Actuators

3K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  PBCOUG 
#1 ·
In the early to mid-90's, I purchased a set of these rebuilt actuators from Stang-It, and am finally ready to use them (yeah, took me awhile to get around to it!) Has anyone had any experience with these in years past? I just want to verify that these won't put any undue stress on the pot-metal frame of the grille assembly, compared to what WCCC is currently offering.

#2 ·
I don't think I knew Ron sold rebuilt headlight vacuum motors but having said that I cannot picture how they could cause any more stress than any of the other more recently rebuilt motors. The amount of stress is really a function of the amount of vacuum you're supplying is it not? I suppose if the shafts themselves were longer (or shorter) than the originals that too might translate into more stress on the pot-metal.

#3 ·
Ronney Johnson was 'The Dude' back in the mid-90's. He was the only one I could find that was reproducing the hard-to-find Cougar parts at the time. I've still got two of his first-run 67/68 Dash Pad Reproductions that I haven't used just yet. Was hoping someone knew what process his supplier used for the rebuild of the vacuum motors. Subject to failure? Or a first-rate rebuild process? I'm gonna use these two vacuum motor units irregardless, but just wanted to know if anyone had any experience or knowledge of these.

#6 ·
Bill Horton built those for Ron and myself back in the day. He was a retired NASA employee and very meticulous. They have not been opened up as he relied on cores that still had a good internal diaphragm, pretty hard to find cores these days that do not need to be opened up. I miss Ron and Bill, R.I.P.

#7 ·
Don, I'm confused by your statement. How could you do anything to these vacuum motors without opening them up? Could you explain Bill Horton's 'rebuild' process more in detail? Thanks!

And one more question for you Don. Where did you advertise in the early to mid 90's? At the time, I was searching Hemmings, and every Ford and Mustang magazine I could lay my hands on, looking for Cougar parts. I certainly don't recall ever seeing WCCC back then.

#8 ·
Bill Horton rebuilt actuators for all of us in the 90's, there was no one else. He did not have the machinery that we have developed so really the were best described as reconditioned. Only units that held vacuum on the bottom nipple could be reconditioned. When Bill retired he sold his little biz to JCC who now offers the service. When John rebuilds them he is only able to replace the accordion dust cover and little seal under it. Years ago this was an adequate fix but here we are a decade later and most have failed (or soon to be) failed internal bellows. I advertised heavily in HMN but the first few years I was not an S corp and sold as a private party. The 1-800 phone number and WCCC name did not circulated until 1993. This video will explain more on the pods.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.