Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
68 cougar 302. 2 brrl Carb. (here is what happened) * new cat owner

to cold start my car I HAVE to pull out he choke (towards me) give it a couple bumps of gas and hold gas pedal 1/2 3/4 way down while cranking ignition.
I have to keep my foot on the gas pedal about 1/4th of the way down for a minute (AFTER) it turns over. once I do that I let off gas completely I leave the choke pulled out and gradually push it back in after a couple of minutes of it idling.

(car was running just fine on a full tank of gas couple days ago)

yesterday (gas about little less than half tank) I was driving about 6 miles (it had been about 90 degrees outside), My car stalled out (electric was still on) but car had shut off. highest speed I got to was 60 mph (and during that time at one point I pressed the gas and I didn't have any power, it did nothing). Car did not die and eventually when i got to 45-50 mph I hit the gas pedal and finally it went.

I got down the street from my house about 5 minutes later and my cougar stalled out while I was in drive. I was able to go neutral and pull over and it cranked right back up.
I sat it in park in the drive way and it idled for about 5 minutes then died.

During lunch today, I was able to start it with my usual process

BUT*** now it idles real ugly and dies. I can keep it alive for a few extra seconds by pressing the gas pedal but then it just dies (even while im giving it gas)

. please help.

concerned cat owner...

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Sounds like you have a major fuel system issue ... Personally I would not keep driving it until it is resolved.. starving for fuel could do damage to the motor..Blocked fuel lines.... plugged fuel filter.. failing fuel pump... plugged carburetor... also sounds like the fast idle on your carb is not working ...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like you have a major fuel system issue ... Personally I would not keep driving it until it is resolved.. starving for fuel could do damage to the motor..Blocked fuel lines.... plugged fuel filter.. failing fuel pump... plugged carburetor... also sounds like the fast idle on your carb is not working ...
Yeah I could t even drive it right now if I wanted to as it after idling (kinda) for about 5-10 seconds (it was running great up until yesterday ..)

in your opinion would a direct fuel injection fix this issue ?

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Fuel injection is a great upgrade is you have the money to spend and the skills to install it... I would definitely replace your fuel tank .along with all the other fuel system components when/if you install it.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
I would start with replacing the fuel pump with a stock one, mechanical not electric. The mechanical ones are rock solid reliable and the speed varies with engine speed.

A nasty vacuum leak can cause all of the above problems. Ensure that the carb is physically bolted down and all vacuum hoses are present and working. Vacuum leaks make it run to lean. Ask me how I know...

Sure it's cheaper to rebuild the carb yourself but I'd just go ahead and buy a rebuild one to save time. The shaft seals and gasket can fail and create a vaccum leak as well on a worn out one.

Consider a petronix igniter to eliminate points and a more powerful ignition coil.

Another potential catastrophic possibility is timing chain deterioration. The stock OEM ones are total crap and are literally made of plastic instead of metal. They throw chunks of plastic all over the oil pan and you might even be able to rip off the chain by hand when you change it. I'd do a nice strong double roller. Some even allow you to adjust the camshaft timing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts