Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok well iwas driving out to my friends place today and i get up to a light and put on the breaks and all of a sudden it just dies, and so i'm sitting there almost in the middle of the street, and so i try and start it again and it won't fire. it turns over fine, but it won't fire. there's no gas getting into the carbeurator, so do you guys think its a clog in the line? its not flooded i know that, cause there's no gas in there to flood it :p: its a carter carbeurator. if that helps. luckily a couple guys in a Z28 camaro were driving by (nice car btw :) ) and saw me and pulled around and gave me a hand pushing it into a gas station parking lot. and then tried to help me get it started. do you think its the carbeurator or do you think its the feul line?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it could be the fuel pump, i just went down there and tried lookin at it again, and there's nothing happening in the fuel filter, you know how when you start it the fuel will like stir in the filter, and then be pumped into the carb, well there's nothing happening, like the gas isn't even moving. how can i tell if its my fuel pump? also what/where is the needle& seat, i prob know what it looks like just don't know the name

·
11,000 Posts
Have you tried removing the fuel filter and blowing through it? The see through ones can be clogged by fine sediment but look fine.

Also you could try removing the line from the frame to the fuel pump. Gas should run out. If it doesn't something is clogged from the tank to the pump.

Chances are it's the fuel pump though if you have not changed it recently.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea i haven't changed it at all, since i've only had the car for a little under a year now and haven't had anyproblems with it, and haven't had the money either :) so yea is there any way to tell if tis the pump?

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
After unhooking the line from the pump and if fuel will come out (or you can try to siphon from the line going to the tank. ou can have a helper turn the car over with the keyWhile you hold your finger on the suction side of the pump and feel for vacumn. Its probably the pump.
John
wvcat

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
well... first things first... you sure there is gas in it? and never rely on the gas guage. ive run out of gas enough in many cars to know that gas guages arent always accurate. esp in 30+ year old cars. other than that i agree with all that has been said already.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yea i know there's gas in it, one because i just filled up the day before and hadn't done too much driving, and two because i've had it die because of no gas and it didn't die like i was outta gas. well i'm gonna get it towed to my house tomorrow... lol well i guess today since its like 1:20 am lol but yea then i'll get under there and see whta the prob is i'll let you guys know

·
Registered
253 Posts
I agree it most likely is the fuel pump, but there is one other very remote possibilty, and I only mention it because it happened to me years ago in a 79 Ford LTD. The eccentric may have come loose. If you are not familiar with the inner workings of the engine, the eccentric bolts to the end of your cam, ontop of the cam sprocket, it pushes the fuel pump lever up and down causing the fuel pump to well pump fuel. In my case I replaced the fuel pump only to have the car still not run, that 's when after many hours of pondering, I decided to pull the timing chain cover to investigate and found the eccentic just barely hangin on the last couple of bolt threads.
Another very slim chance is the timing chain or sprockets broke. Again this actually did happen, not to me but my uncle, while driving the same LTD. around 120,000 miles he stopped at a light, engine died and then nothing. He then sold me the car for peanuts, I rebuilt the upper end and it ran great for another 100k miles give or take until it spun a bearing.

Enough gloom and doom, I beleive it is your fuel pump and nothing more.

Good Luck

·
Registered
633 Posts
Not to keep reiterating the fuel pump thing but I had the same problem with my cougar just before I moved to Georgia. Luckily we had an extra Windsor in the garage with a fuel pump on it and I just pulled it and swapped it out to see if it was the culprit. And it was. So I agree as well.

Tad.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok well i found out that its not the fuel pump at all, its not even fuel related. i was totally wrong with that, its not sparking is the problem. like my friend came over and we fiddled with some stuff and so we pulled one of the plugs and put it on the end of the wire and then started it to see if there was spark but there was nothing. so now i think its either the coil, ignition box, or the rotor on the distributer. is there a way to check the ignition box? becasue i want to find out if thats it so i don't start buying replacements for all the other stuff then find out that i have to spend like $150 on a new box

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
A ha! You have no fuel going into the carb (that's what you said at first) and you have no spark either! Now we're getting somewhere. And that somewhere ain't good!

How 'bout you sheared off the roll pin on the distributor shaft. That means the distributor won't turn (thereby no spark) and since the distributor gear is what drives the camshaft, and the eccentric on the front of the camshaft operates the fuel pump, you have no gas either!

Another option, along the same vein is that a piece of the original nylon timing gear (if it is still on there) got sucked up into the oil pump, jamming it. Then what happens is either the distributor rollpin shears or the oil pump driveshaft snaps. If you're lucky, the rollpin shears first, otherwise you are still running without oil pressure.

In either case, take off the distributor cap and see if the rotor turns as you crank it.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Not to be too nit picky, but were you and your friend sure to ground the plug on the engine somewhere when you looked for fire?
And, did you double check the no fuel thing? Squirters squirting?

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Cougrrcj said:
How 'bout you sheared off the roll pin on the distributor shaft. That means the distributor won't turn (thereby no spark) and since the distributor gear is what drives the camshaft, and the eccentric on the front of the camshaft operates the fuel pump, you have no gas either!
Did I miss something? :1poke: On my engines the camshaft is what makes the distributor turn, not vice-versa. :confused:

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
I also had one of my 73s shear that distributer roll pin. Going down the road all fat , dumb, & happy and then nothing....... so that is a possibilty... as for the fuel issue... not to sure about that if it IS both no fuel and no spark .... Timing chain???

Don

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I had an Accell dual-point break the shaft one night. Luckily it broke off clean and did no damage. It was like someone reached down and shut off the key.

·
Registered
253 Posts
If you are not getting fuel or spark, I would definitely start thinking timing chain/gear problems. A little more involved to fix, but not too difficult.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Is the rotor pointing at No.1 plug wire with the crank at TDC? doing this you will see if the rotor turns at ll.
One tine i had the short hose, from the tank to fuel line crack and it sucked air cavitating the pump, but it would barely run and i could smell fuel back there. cant think of anything else that wasnt covered by the SME's here

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
we checked the timing chain and its not that, we thought of that when we were fiddling with it. about the grounding the spark plug i'm not sure :uhoh: this is what we did, we pulled the boot off the plug, then pulled out the spark plug. then we plugged the plug (confusing isn't it :p: ) back into the wire. so that you had a wire running from the distributer to the plug. then we turned the engine over while holding the plug up. how might we ground it? just touch it to metal?

i'll try checking the rotor when my buddy comes over

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
ground the plug on the valve cover or something metal on the engine, then look for spark between the contact areas.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts