Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the 67' between the stainless steel weather strip "channel" and the actual roofline of the car there was a "foam" like strip left when I removed it from the car. Assuming this foam is a factory piece, what is it called? I'd like to replace it but I can't find it in any cougar catalogs. It's not the rubber weatherstripping that goes between the windows and stainless steel channel, but between the stainless steel channel and the roof itself. Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
351CJHC, I found the same thing on my car. It's a vinyl foam tape. In my '68 Body Assembly Manual, it lists a part number of ESB-M3G77-A on page 39. I'm not aware of any Cougar or Mustang catalogs listing it. Try googling the part number I have listed to see who might have it. John

·
Registered
913 Posts
I have replaced several of these, I just finished doing mine, went to Lowe's and bought truck bed weatherstrip, that the seal that goes between the bed and bed cover, works great.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone. Looks like I have a lot of different ways to get this vinyl foam strip. Glad to know what it is and that it is a factory piece/ idea, not something a previous owner did as I have found there are many of those on the car sometimes.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
351CJHC, when you apply the foam seal add 3 inches beyond the rear part of the retainer. John

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
One of the Mustang suppliers carries it. I can't remember which one for sure, but I think it is CJ pony. I'll have to look at some reciepts to find it. I searched for a while before I found it in one of the Mustang catalogs.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
One of the Mustang suppliers carries it. I can't remember which one for sure, but I think it is CJ pony. I'll have to look at some reciepts to find it. I searched for a while before I found it in one of the Mustang catalogs.
Found it under weatherstripping on CJ PONY Parts website: www.cjponyparts.com/ROOFRAIL+FOAM/p/RF/ . I'm going to need some for my car eventually. John

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks again everyone. Whats the reasoning for the extra 3inches of foam beyond the rear part John? Just curious before I attempt the installation next week.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Thanks again everyone. Whats the reasoning for the extra 3inches of foam beyond the rear part John? Just curious before I attempt the installation next week.
I'm really not sure why. That is how it's listed in my Body Assembly Manual. John

1 - 11 of 11 Posts